Amend State Return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amend State Return?

Client just dropped a 1099R that came after they filed. Results in additional refund on federal, but made no difference on NY return as NY does not tax non government pension income under $20k . Amend NY as well or not?

Amended State Return

I would rather you hear from a NY preparer, but I can tell you most states are notified when an amended return is filed with Federal, and vice-versa. It is a way that the IRS and State agencies can "tag-team" against the taxpayer.

I would file an amended return so NY will have no questions as to why a federal amended return was filed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
      I would rather you hear from a NY preparer, but I can tell you most states are notified when an amended return is filed with Federal, and vice-versa. It is a way that the IRS and State agencies can "tag-team" against the taxpayer.

I would file an amended return so NY will have no questions as to why a federal amended return was filed.
      Agree file amended NY return also for reason you mention. This should be no brainer
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

The NYS $20,000 exclusion is only available if the recipient is 59 1/2 or older. If you are a beneficiary, then the exclusion also comes into pay if the original distributee was 59 1/2 or older at the time of their death.

You must report it and then take the exclusion on Line 29 of the IT-201.

Comment

Working...
        X