Homeowners Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeowners Association

Client is a homeowners association organized in 1989 and owns land and building valued at $3,500,000 and provides services to 550 members. Files an 1120H as a 501 (C) 4. They want to consider changing to a 501 (c) 7 to be exempt as a social club or 528 with exempt status. They have a minimal amount of non member income. They want to consider a 501 (C) 4 which would allow any contributions from members or others to be a charitable deduction for the giver. What is involved (IRS Forms and cost) in changing to a social club or obtain exempt status under 528? And any recommendation as to what would be preferred. They have a June 30 year end. Thanks,,,Duane Anderson

Who said they are a 501(c)4?

Homeowners Associations do not fall under the tax exempt laws. They are corporations and can elect to file a Form 1120 or a Form 1120H to report their activities. Have you seen the award letter from the IRS that granted them tax exempt status? They are neither a civic league nor a social welfare organization so I can't see how they got a 501(c)4 status.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

It is highly unlikely the HOA is 501(c)(4) exempt, and it's even more unlikely it could qualify under 501(c)(7). A HOA is not a TEO and files F-1120, not F-990. It can elect to file F-1120H, and most HOAs do that. I completely agree with taxmandan's post above.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
        Homeowners Associations do not fall under the tax exempt laws. They are corporations and can elect to file a Form 1120 or a Form 1120H to report their activities. Have you seen the award letter from the IRS that granted them tax exempt status? They are neither a civic league nor a social welfare organization so I can't see how they got a 501(c)4 status.
        They are currently a 501 C 4 and want to change to a 501 C 7 (social club) which they say will allow the members who make gifts / contributions (over and above their quarterly dues) to have them tax deductable...Thanks for your response...Regards,,,Duane Anderson

Comment

Under certain circumstances HO Assns can be declared Social Welfare organizations, but they have to jump through hoops. See this link: https://irs.gov/charities-non-profit...s-associations. Pay particular attention to the third paragraph. IRS puts out a number of documents regarding this subject. Google Section 528, etc.
          Last edited by Burke; 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X