partnership distribution beyond basis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partnership distribution beyond basis question

My client has a very small partnership with his brother. This year his beginning basis was $549 and income $420 and has withdrawals & distributions of $2077.
    So he took out more than his basis. 549+420=969 and took out $2077 leaves a negative <1108>. I believe this is taxable as capital gain. I haven't seen one of these situations in years, so correct me if I am wrong. And so how do I report it on Sch D? Do I just put it under Long Term and description of "Excess of distribution over basis" and put in the $1108 with no cost? Then would his beginning basis next year just be zero?

Like I said, I haven't had this situation in years so need guidance of what to do exactly.

Thanks

Partnership Debt creates Basis for partners

Does the Partnership have any debt? If so you have to allocate it towards basis before capital gain is considered.
    Diane Offutt
    Accounting Connections, LLC
    Woodstock, Georgia 30189
    (770) 846-7799

Comment

No, the Partnership has NO debt!

Comment

ST or LT CG treatment would be based on the partners holding period of his interest in the partnership.
        Diane Offutt
        Woodstock, Georgia 30189
        (770) 846-7799

Comment

Report on form 8949, then Schedule D

Excess distributions over Partnership Basis is reported on form 8949, zero basis, then transferred over to Schedule D, either ST or LT depending on holding period.
          Diane Offutt
          Woodstock, Georgia 30189
          (770) 846-7799

Comment

Before treating the excess distribution as income, I would talk to the partners about it and explain the tax consequences. It's quite possible the partner will want to return his excess withdrawal to the p'ship, treating it as a loan during the interim.
            Roland Slugg
            "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by DianeOffutt View Post
              Excess distributions over Partnership Basis is reported on form 8949, zero basis, then transferred over to Schedule D, either ST or LT depending on holding period.
              ok.. and just put "Excess distribution over basis" for description?

Comment

Working...
              X