Tax Preparer scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Preparer scam

The following is an email I received today which obviously was not from the IRS by the email address it was sent from but pretending to be. Just a warning for others who may get taken in by this.

Dear ERO,
    Due to the severe weather climate at some locations, the IRS identity validation mail have been hold, So We strictly urge you to validate your Account information through our secure message system or your account will be suspended for the 2016 tax season if not validated within 24 hours. CLICK HERE TO VALIDATE YOUR ACCOUNT

Thanks,

IRS Security Team,

c 2017 IRS E-service Security Team.

Observation

I'm surprised your email service did not trap that message before you ever had a chance to see it.

If you have not already done so, I would use the "mark as junk" and/or "report as spam" option for that specific incoming message. That might help.

FE

Comment

If these scammers would just learn how to write using correct English grammar, they would probably get a few more takers.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Scam

Here is one that I received. I asked for the name of the person who referred him and I am still waiting for his reply

I am not sure if it's real so I did not click

Hello

Good day, my name is David Singer. I am a small business owner. I have been referred to you by my associate and friend as I am looking for a good accountant to prepare taxes for myself and business. I have had really good reviews of you and would like to retain your services for professional tax preparation for the fiscal year of 2016 on behalf of myself and my business. CLICK HERE to see my last year tax filing and return as I have attached it to this google drive so you have an idea of our records. Please let me know if you will be needing any more information or requirements to be met. Looking forward to your correspondence.

Google Drive Shared File

Thanks You

David Singer
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          I'm surprised your email service did not trap that message before you ever had a chance to see it.

If you have not already done so, I would use the "mark as junk" and/or "report as spam" option for that specific incoming message. That might help.

FE
          From what I have been told email services do not have that capability. If they did we wouldn't be getting any phishing/scams etc email.

Open your email options, copy the total url info then select forward for this email, paste the entire header in the body of the text and forward this email to phishing@irs.gov
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
            Here is one that I received. I asked for the name of the person who referred him and I am still waiting for his reply

I am not sure if it's real so I did not click

Hello

Good day, my name is David Singer. I am a small business owner. I have been referred to you by my associate and friend as I am looking for a good accountant to prepare taxes for myself and business. I have had really good reviews of you and would like to retain your services for professional tax preparation for the fiscal year of 2016 on behalf of myself and my business. CLICK HERE to see my last year tax filing and return as I have attached it to this google drive so you have an idea of our records. Please let me know if you will be needing any more information or requirements to be met. Looking forward to your correspondence.

Google Drive Shared File

Thanks You

David Singer
            Its a scam. The IRS sent a news letter concerning potential clients soliciting services with links to prior year returns.

Comment

I forwarded the email to the IRS phishing department.

Comment

Working...
              X