Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear UR,

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Last time I checked, this was an open board. And I bet your one of those conservatives who believes anything coming out of Washington. I'm not terribly interested in your opinions either.
    For us neo-cons, not much doubt but what things could be much better and with the elections coming up, we've got to choose between a dismal economy and national security. At the moment you boys (the left) seem to be doing pretty well (although I kinda think Lieberman will prevail).

But anyway, Josh has a point. Since you prefer not to differentiate yourself from other unregistered posters with a user name, I don't feel it unreasonable to request evidence of your qualification to speak as the post liberal. In order to validate your "credentials," would you mind stating your position with regard to the possible demise of the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
      For us neo-cons, not much doubt but what things could be much better and with the elections coming up, we've got to choose between a dismal economy and national security. At the moment you boys (the left) seem to be doing pretty well (although I kinda think Lieberman will prevail).

But anyway, Josh has a point. Since you prefer not to differentiate yourself from other unregistered posters with a user name, I don't feel it unreasonable to request evidence of your qualification to speak as the post liberal. In order to validate your "credentials," would you mind stating your position with regard to the possible demise of the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel?

Thank you.
      BB well put God knows enough of you guys/gals jumpt my but the first time I posted and I had to make up a name. so I picked sea-tax. it is rather simple to post a name once you think of one. BTW "GOP- the right way to think" it is my new suggestion for this up comming election slogan. What to you think , will it fly?
      Sea-Tax

Comment

Well, it'll fly among

"GOP- the right way to think" it is my new suggestion for this up comming election slogan. What to you think , will it fly?
        Sea-Tax
        conservatives. The problem with both us and UR's bunch is that each prefers "preaching to the choir;" that is, talking to people who are already true believers. It seems to me that extremists on both sides have taken over both parties and the rhetoric has grown so bitter and harsh that there no longer seems to be much point in debate. Each side tries to
        ridicule and "argue down" the other, while neither has the slightest chance of altering an opinion through logical debate.

For instance, although I tend to agree with many of Bill O'Reilly's positions, I generally don't watch his show because, as soon as a guest voices an opposing view, he usually interrupts them, "talks over" them, shouts them down, or simply cuts them off. He then imposes his opinion and moves on to something else. I think "What's interesting about this?" I'd like to hear (all of) what guests have to say, even if I don't agree with them.

Actually I do hope that Lieberman, a moderate, gets elected. He seems to be a decent, intelligent man.

Comment

Rough times

BB God knows enough of you guys/gals jumpt my but the first time I posted and I had to make up a name. so I picked sea-tax.
          Sea-Tax
          Yeah, I thought we were a little bit rough on you about that when you first started out here, but as luck would have it, at the time you signed on, there seemed to be a large number of people posting under "unregistered" and it was very frustrating trying to keep track of who's who. People were upset because lots of times you couldn't be sure you're even arguing with the same person you started talking to in the first place.

But anyhow, you're a good poster and a good egg and we (or me at least) do appreciate having you on the board and are indebted to you for your valuable and knowledgeable input here, plus your sense of humor and good attitude. Thanks.

Comment

conservatives. The problem with both us and UR's bunch is that each prefers "preaching to the choir;" that is, talking to people who are already true believers. It seems to me that extremists on both sides have taken over both parties and the rhetoric has grown so bitter and harsh that there no longer seems to be much point in debate. Each side tries to
            ridicule and "argue down" the other, while neither has the slightest chance of altering an opinion through logical debate.

For instance, although I tend to agree with many of Bill O'Reilly's positions, I generally don't watch his show because, as soon as a guest voices an opposing view, he usually interrupts them, "talks over" them, shouts them down, or simply cuts them off. He then imposes his opinion and moves on to something else. I think "What's interesting about this?" I'd like to hear (all of) what guests have to say, even if I don't agree with them.

Actually I do hope that Lieberman, a moderate, gets elected. He seems to be a decent, intelligent man.

What is the definition of a conservative now? I remember Milton Friedman said he was a Republican with a captal R and Libertarian with a small l which I once identified with. Today I don't know of a politician in congress that I share most views with.

Comment

A change in Congress would be good for business. The more they muck up the tax code, the more people need our services.

Comment

Yeah, I thought we were a little bit rough on you about that when you first started out here, but as luck would have it, at the time you signed on, there seemed to be a large number of people posting under "unregistered" and it was very frustrating trying to keep track of who's who. People were upset because lots of times you couldn't be sure you're even arguing with the same person you started talking to in the first place.

But anyhow, you're a good poster and a good egg and we (or me at least) do appreciate having you on the board and are indebted to you for your valuable and knowledgeable input here, plus your sense of humor and good attitude. Thanks.
                Well BB thanks for stroking my ego a little. Those were very kind words , unfortunately I feel like sometimes I get more than I give on this board , but hopefully as the time goes by I will be able to provide others with the same level of knowledge that you have given me and others. Hey for a southern boy this YANKEE thinks you are alright!

As for my choice I really like John McCain , I am not sure why exactly, he just seems like a middle type of guy with a right side slant, if ya know what I mean.

PS. You hunt at all down there in Arkansas? I here that Stuggart is the duck hunting capital of the world. If so want to put a Yankee boy up this winter?

Comment

Different stuff

Originally posted by sea-tax
                  Well BB thanks for stroking my ego a little. Those were very kind words , unfortunately I feel like sometimes I get more than I give on this board , but hopefully as the time goes by I will be able to provide others with the same level of knowledge that you have given me and others. Hey for a southern boy this YANKEE thinks you are alright!

As for my choice I really like John McCain , I am not sure why exactly, he just seems like a middle type of guy with a right side slant, if ya know what I mean.

PS. You hunt at all down there in Arkansas? I here that Stuggart is the duck hunting capital of the world. If so want to put a Yankee boy up this winter?
                  TMI: I know what you mean about getting more than you give. I'll bet everybody here feels the same -- we all put in our two cents worth and get back the change from a dollar's worth of knowledge. Since I've been on this message board, my customers think I'm practically a tax wizard. Little do they know that I'm Armando, Bees, and other "big guns" in disguise. I feel soooo....ummm..."fake," I'd have to say. Still -- no point in looking a gift horse in the mouth. All I have to do now is read these posts, buy the TMI book (and the Web CD now) once a year, punch stuff in the computer, hit "Enter," then get outta the way and drink iced tea.

Yanks: Since you (and the Californians and Veritas) are Westerners, y'all aren't Yankees. Although you're north of the Mason-Dixon line, it's not like you were from...well...Minnesota or anything.

McCain: Yeah, you hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly how I feel and I was thinking about voting for him if we get the chance. Lieberman's running for re-election as senator in Connecticut today.

Hunting: Well, I used to (don't anymore) beat the bushes now and then for squirrels, rabbits, and deer a couple of times, but have only been duck hunting once years ago (peppered a decoy). My friends considered it quite entertaining and I didn't harm the duck population in the least.

Comment

BB well put God knows enough of you guys/gals jumpt my but the first time I posted and I had to make up a name. so I picked sea-tax. it is rather simple to post a name once you think of one. BTW "GOP- the right way to think" it is my new suggestion for this up comming election slogan. What to you think , will it fly?
                    Sea-Tax

No neo-con for me. I'm going with Reagan Conservative.

Which reminds me after hearing the Israelis bombed the nuke power plant in Iraq, Pres. Reagan was quoted as saying "Well boys will be boys".

I miss him.

Comment

How could things get much better? A failed (and now civil) war in Iraq with almost 3,000 dead American GI's, documented global warming, and an economy on the skids. Let's hear it for the GOP!

Comment

How could things get much better? A failed (and now civil) war in Iraq with almost 3,000 dead American GI's, documented global warming, and an economy on the skids. Let's hear it for the GOP!

I'm not sure about a failed war. Was it a failed war in WW2 when all of continental Europe was controlled by the Nazis. England was fighting for it's very survival. The Soviet Union was ready to collapse in defeat. Japan had control of the far east. We had lost most of our Pacific fleet. If only Air America was around then.

Global warming is occuring and it should help me with my heating bills.

Where are you getting your information on an economy on the skids?

Comment

Well, shoot,

Originally posted by veritas
                          No neo-con for me. I'm going with Reagan Conservative.
                          Lieberman lost -- my moderates are droppin' like flies.

Neo-con? Well, I don't know if I am or not. I just threw that in the other day 'cause I've seen it on the Net and thought it sounded "cool." I know that "neo" means "new," but other than that I don't have any notion what the difference is between that and a Reagan conservative. I liked Reagan, too -- voted for him.

You previously asked "What is the definition of a conservative?" I don't know that either, but your description of Uncle Miltie sounds pretty close.

When jainen unleashed his pit bull on brokers the other day, I was very impressed with your statement about the manner in which you conduct your securities office. I may transfer my entire Scottrade portfolio ($389 down from original $500). Any hot tips (other than my present market strategy, i.e., buy high, sell low)?

About the economy -- I suppose that's a regional thing like tax prep fees. I said it was "dismal" because it's been very, very slow all summer for most of our local businesses (there is no money here). I would expect yours in the Northwest is much more economically prosperous and might be doing very well.
                          Last edited by Black Bart; 08-09-2006, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Let's hear it for the GOP!

OK ! Hip Hip Hurray, Hip HIp Hurray, For they are Jolly Good Fellows..........that nobody can deny!

UR is that what you were thinking about. Because I agree.

Comment

what's with that?

>>Well, shoot, Lieberman lost<<

A Republican unhappy about the defeat of one of the most powerful Dems in the Senate--what's with that?

Comment

Well, he's an

Originally posted by jainen
                                >>Well, shoot, Lieberman lost<<

A Republican unhappy about the defeat of one of the most powerful Dems in the Senate--what's with that?
                                old-fashioned "fifties" Democrat. He voted with us quite a bit. The opposition claimed he was too cozy with Bush -- did everything except send him roses. He (Lamont), on the other hand, would like to send him a Katyusha.

As long as we're chattin', what's your position on the endangered Mt. Graham red squirrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X