1099-Misc as Rent or Other Income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent or Commission?

This sounds more like a commission earned since the "rent" is a percentage of the trainer's sales. What happens if the trainer has no sale? No rent or no commission?

There is PLR that stated when an owner charges rent based on a "% of the subcontractor sales" those subcontractors were considered employees (they had no risk, so it looked more like an employer/employee relationship).

Getting back to your situation, in my opinion I believe it would make sense if the owner of the Gym prepared a rental agreement and charged the trainer a fixed rental rate. Then the trainer would have a document to support his filing a 1099 to his "landlord" claiming "rent" and the trainer deducts the rent expense. It also shows "intent" on the gym owner's part.

Also, something the gym owner needs to discuss with his tax professional: the gym owner, if he claims the rental income on Schedule E would then have to prorate all the gym's expenses that would pertain to the "rental income" and charge it against rental income, thus reducing rental income that is not subject to SE. The results of reallocating some of those gym expenses away from gym fees, which ARE subject to SE, to instead reduce rental income, will then increase the gym owner's income tax exposure (more income subject to SE tax).
    Last edited by DianeOffutt; 02-04-2017, 02:26 PM.
    Diane Offutt
    Accounting Connections, LLC
    Woodstock, Georgia 30189
    (770) 846-7799

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post

As a side note, is the Gym taxed as a corporation? If so, a 1099 isn't necessary at all.
      No it is not.

Comment

Diane, question for you.

Diane, so what about the hair salons that gals are leasing a station. Do the gals issue the salon owner a 1099-misc for Rents? And then does the salon owner include those "rents" in the SCH C income so taxed SE on it?
        Thanks for your input. I am just wanting to know the correct way to handle these situations.

Comment

Working...
        X