PIN Not Received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIN Not Received

TP was victim of ID theft on 2015 return. All paperwork filed and TP received refund eventually. However, he has not received a PIN for 2016. Is there a number you can call to check on this?

Correction: TP did not have a refund last year. He owed money and this was sent with the return. Is this the reason he did not get a PIN? Or should he have anyway?

Comment

On IRS website search for

Retrieve Your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Consider

Since this is still January, is there a possibility the PIN for the 2016 tax year has not yet been mailed to such recipients? ? ?

(Also, if the taxpayer's mailing address has changed. . .and he did not properly notify the IRS with Form 8822, that alone can create some problems. . .)

FE

Comment

IRS Topic on this subject indicates PIN is provided if a CP01A letter was issued. It wasn't. TP was notified by IRS a return had been received and wanted addl information. I am thinking they stopped a fraudulent return there and did not process. Hard to tell as that letter and e-file rejection ACK were received around the same time.

Comment

IRS issued a recent email on this subject. If I can find it I will post it. It explained what to do and whether to use the original IP PIN that was issued.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X