Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question in Form 8867

The 2016 Form 8867 question 6:

Did you ask the taxpayer whether he/she could provide documentation to substantiate eligibility for and the amount of the credit(s) claimed on the return?

What is the "documentation to substantiate eligibility for and the amount of the credit(s) claimed on the return" exactly referring to?

I think if you ask your clients to provide "documentation to substantiate eligibility for and the amount of the credit(s) claimed on the return", they would have no idea what you are asking for. So I am thinking we have to be more specific in the question.

Depends on the credit?

I would not ask my client the wording on the form. Most taxpayers do not know what type of documents they need to show eligibility for and defend claimed credits should they be audited. There is a reason they're coming to me for tax stuff and not doing it on their own after all.

For instance, on an education credit I might obtain the accounting print off from the school showing the charges and payments to show that the taxpayer actually paid expenses.

I'm also the sort of preparer that will answer this question no. For example claiming CTC/ACTC and someone gives me their son's info I don't typically ask if they can provide a birth certificate to prove relationship or age - I just trust them. Unless I had reason to question it I wouldn't ask about documentation for that one. I would answer 6 no.

Comment

Working...
    X