ACA Excess Advanced Premium Repayment 1040 line 46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACA Excess Advanced Premium Repayment 1040 line 46

I am doing a MFS tax return (1095-A Health Insurance Exchange) that is resulting in an Excess Advance Premium Repayment of 600 on line 46, 1040. The tax is otherwise zero so the taxpayer owes 600. I was just informed by the other tax preparer (doing the other spouses MFS return) that his ACA allocation he used was 50%. So I put a 50% allocation on the return I am doing and the taxpayer still owes the 600. I was hoping the 50% allocation would reduce the amount due to 300. I’m not sure if I am having an issue with my tax software, Drake, or if this is just the nature of how the repayment works. The question is: Does a 50% allocation reduce the Excess Advance Premium Repayment amount on line 46 by 50%? Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Tullio Falini Jr.

See instructions for 8962, page 14. The payback for less than 200% of FPL is $300 for filing status of single, any other (which would include MFS) filing status $600.

Comment

The 50% would reduce the calculations for the FULL repayment (Line 27 on Form 8962), but does not reduce the repayment 'limit' for the low income taxpayers (Line 28 of Form 8962).

Comment

Aca

Thank you Kathy and TaxGuy, that was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
        X