Efile Failed- Grandma claiming HOH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efile Failed- Grandma claiming HOH

TP is a Grandma claiming HOH as she provides for her Daughter and 2 Grandkids. Well, efiled
    Failed b/c others are claiming the kids and the daughter.

Has anybody experienced this situation? What is your advice on filing this tax return? What would you send in with the tax return to prove Grandma is providing support?

Thanks for your help.

Taxadvisor VA

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
    TP is a Grandma claiming HOH as she provides for her Daughter and 2 Grandkids. Well, efiled
    Failed b/c others are claiming the kids and the daughter.

Has anybody experienced this situation? What is your advice on filing this tax return? What would you send in with the tax return to prove Grandma is providing support?
    Yes, I do believe there are other filers who have experienced this situation.

Use the following information to determine what to send in:

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

HOH- Claim

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
      Yes, I do believe there are other filers who have experienced this situation.

Use the following information to determine what to send in:

https://www.eitc.irs.gov/EITCCentral/f886-h-hoh.pdf
      Thank you for responding with helpful information.

Best Regards,

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

If the daughter and children qualify for GM leave them on the return. Attach a statement of explanation that details the qualification. Be sure to include identifying information of anyone you suspect may have claimed them. What is the "custody" situation of the children? Also file the ID Fraud form for each of the dependents. Mail the return certified, return receipt requested.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Rejected return

Have this happen several times a year. File paper return with copies of dependents social security cards, birth certificates and school records showing grandmas address. Also include mothers birth certificate showing grandmother as mother. I always include family tree numbering the birth certificates. IRS will mail letter to other person claiming children and ask for same proof. It usually takes at least six months to finally receive refund. I would not do ID theft affidavit at this time in most cases the children have been claimed by the farther.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            Be sure to include identifying information of anyone you suspect may have claimed them.
            What would be the point of that? The IRS already has the other return.

I would think that simply sticking to the items that the IRS itself has listed (in the link I previously posted) for documenting HOH status would be the best approch to follow.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Robert the IRS will go after the person that filed the fraudelent return.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

E-file Failed

The taking of a dependent by some one I would never consider a fraudulent return until I have all the information This can never be done just speaking with your client. It is up to the IRS to figure our who is lying.

Comment

Jumping to conclusions

Originally posted by MDEA View Post
                  The taking of a dependent by some one I would never consider a fraudulent return until I have all the information This can never be done just speaking with your client. It is up to the IRS to figure our who is lying.
                  I concur. It is not appropriate to consider fraud to be a matter here until first more facts are supplied.

For starters:

1 -- How old is the mother? Did she file her own tax return and claim herself?
                  2 -- Is the mother married / separated / divorced ? That adds another dimension to consider.
                  3-- Where did the mother and/or children live during 2015?
                  4 -- "A dependent cannot claim a dependent."
                  5 -- If applicable, be sure Form 8867 is both in order and filed with the tax return!

FE

Comment

If Grandma qualifies for HOH, she also should be claiming dependents , and possibly child tax credit, and EIC. Were dependents listed on the return?

Comment

Working...
                    X