Old Refund Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Refund Check

Client found refund check from 1999 dated 05/05/2000 how do you obtain new check?

Hmmm. I wonder if the 3 year Statue of Limitations for a refund applies. ???

It's vague, but they just say to contact the IRS:

Comment

It is a very long time, there is a form 3911 "Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund"

I have been successful in using, particularly if the client still has the refund check in their possession or a missing refund check that I had for clients on 2014 refunds.

Sandy

Comment

Think statue applies to filing the return. Call IRS to find if they will reissue a new check.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 10-28-2016, 08:04 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by MDEA
          How do you obtain new check?
          Are you sure he needs to get a new one? Perhaps the one he has will go through. Yes, 16+ years is very old for a check, but who knows? There are no hard and fast rules regarding the clearing of a stale-dated check.

I'd suggest he take the check to his bank and ask someone there, such as the operations manager, if the check is likely to clear. He may also want to ask if there will be a fee if it is rejected, and if so, if he will get the actual check back.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

6 months

Seems like their are rules on catching old checks-see attached link.

What are the check cashing rules banks use if someone can cash a check you wrote to them or if you can deposit an older check someone gave to you?

I would do like Sandy said, file Form 3911. or Like Roland said and check with the bank.
            Last edited by Gene V; 10-29-2016, 02:13 AM.

Comment

There is a "stale date" on the IRS checks - at least the last ones issued in the last few years - printed on the check
              " void after one year"

I would do the 3911, keep a copy of the check for records, write void on and send with the form 3911 along with a cover memo/letter. The 3911 form is for for previous cashed checks/or non cashed checks, so not to be duplicated.

I do not believe Bank will cash/deposit being that old. Most banks are "stale dating" check at 1 year or 6 months. Had that happen to me!

Sandy
              Last edited by S T; 10-29-2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X