Continuing Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing Education

I worked for a BIG tax prep company but recently obtained my EA credential and started my own tax company. One thing I miss about the BIG company is the frequent opportunity to engage in live professional development classes. I've since taken a lot of my CPE via online courses, but really prefer live classes. Can anyone recommend a) good, robust live seminars (I'm in CA but willing to travel if necessary and/or will settle for webinars)?, b) a solid professional organization of EA's I can join that will offer collaboration among peers? Thank you.
    Last edited by mbigelow; 10-27-2016, 08:48 PM.

NCPE and others

NATP puts on good seminars and is sponsored by the state chapters. NCPE (National Center for Professional Education) has good ones in most states and you can choose your flavor (1040, business, estate, etc). One of my favorites is "Back to Basics" headquartered in Appleton WI, but they only serve Wisconsin and Arizona where there instructors are.

I'm leaving out some good ones. I hear rave reviews about the Bob Jennings seminars and Gear Up but I've never participated in either.

I do think there is a reinforcement involved in a classroom setting that cannot be had on an online course.

Comment

Originally posted by mbigelow View Post
      I worked for a BIG tax prep company but recently obtained my EA credential [...] (I'm in CA but willing to travel if necessary and/or will settle for webinars)?, b) a solid professional organization of EA's I can join that will offer collaboration among peers? Thank you.
      Professional organization for EAs: NAEA.

California chapters for the most part have monthly meetings for CE and other networking opportunities. Unfortunately, the state affiliate of NAEA, CSEA, does a poor job of reaching out to the employees of the prep chain stores, one of my many complaints about them. Both organizations have web sites with more info.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

IRS Tax Forums

I have only been to one IRS Tax Form (they are in the summer) but I found it to be helpful.

Comment

continueing Education

I have been going to the IRS forums for 15 years. The last two years have brought all part time staff that could come. They have all liked it and said theylearned from it.

Comment

Life seminars: Both NAEA & NATP offer high quality CPE, with Gear-up you can have a real good speaker or one that is not so good - my reason for deserting Gear-up even though it's the only one I do not have to fly to. For the 1040 update I really like to attend Bob Jennings seminars - online, life. Twice an hour you have to answer a simple question to ensure you are actually there, you can e-mail questions since you are part of the real seminar and get your CPA without taking an additional test. I also highly recommend his technology classes.

Comment

Continuing Education

I also like Bob Jennings seminars. I go to several each year thru thE MD SOCIETY OF ACCOUNTANTS.

Comment

Join NAEA and NATP and attend their local chapter educational events to check them out. Network at the events to learn about other live, local education. Also, check out education offered by your software. I just returned from the CCH User Conference. (Was also involved in the NY/CT-ATP October Seminar, but that won't help you in CA -- unless you like to leaf peep in CT in autumn!) I like David and Mary Mellem; you can see their schedules online or on their free newsletters. NATP does good webinars at a reasonable cost.

Comment

Spidell (Caltax.com) puts on great seminars all year.

They have live and online webinars as well as self-study.

They do Calif primarily, but they have a Fall Fed-Cal update each year.

Comment

Lisa Ihm in CA (teaches all over the country). Sue Voth out of IL also teaches all over the country.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for some very helpful suggestions. I've already signed up for the next IRS conference in my area and am sure to take other steps based upon your useful feedback. Really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                      X