POA Revocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POA Revocation

How do you revoke a Power of Attorney that has been on file with IRS for several years?
    Thanks.

Check the instructions for the form. I believe you write "Revoke" on the bottom by your signature and sign again. Then mail to the appropriate service center.

Comment

Have the client file a new one with someone else listed as POA,

That would be the easiest way, as yours should be terminated at that point (although I sometimes recieve info on accounts that have been transfered).

You could probably contact the POA group in writing and request that your POA be removed.

JoshInNC

Comment

I had a similar problem with a client who thankfully is no longer. I called IRS and they said mail in a letter requesting to be removed along with copy of POA or 8821 and it should be done. I did this just a week ago so I am not sure if it will work or not but I will keep you posted.

Comment

Instead of a letter

The IRS needs to come up with a form. Maybe we could suggest it to them?

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
            The IRS needs to come up with a form. Maybe we could suggest it to them?

Good idea however that would be to simple for the IRS and logical.

Comment

Liason Officer

I called the liason officer in Seattle and got my local person. They want suggesrions from us for the IMRS System( Issue Management Resolution).

I am going to recomend a form and also an E-Services method. I'm also going to ask for a way under E-Services to see all outstanding POA's. The only way now is through the Freedom of Information Act.

I would recomend everyone to contact their local liason person and make the same recomendations.

Stakeholder Liaison (SL) Local Contacts

Your local Stakeholder Liaison office establishes relationships with organizations representing small business and self-employed taxpayers. They provide information about the policies, practices and procedures the IRS uses to ensure compliance with the tax laws. To establish a relationship with us, use this list to find a contact in your state.

Stakeholder Liaison Areas Phone

Mid-Atlantic - PA, NJ, DE, WV (412) 395-5243
              New York (212) 436-1056
              Great Lakes - MI, OH (216) 522-2563
              Northeast - MA, ME, NH, VT, CT, RI (203) 781-3087

Midwest - MN, WI, ND, SD, NE, IA (414) 231-2157
              Southwest - TX, NM, CO (713) 209-3806
              Central - IL, IN, MO, KS (630) 493-5866

Mid-South - KY, TN, AL, MS, AR, LA, OK (405) 297-4045
              Southeast - FL, GA (954) 423-7686
              South Atlantic - MD, VA, NC, SC (336) 378-2348

Northwest - WA, OR, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY (206) 220-5300
              Western - CA, AK, HI (949) 389-4125

Please feel free to download and print Stakeholder Liaison (SL) Local Contacts list. (PDF)
              Last edited by veritas; 08-02-2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Additional Info

The original POA was filed several years ago. I do not have a copy of the 2848.
                If I did I would write Revoke across the top of it and mail it to IIRS.
                This client did not like what I told him and so I have not seen him since then either.
                Maybe just a letter to the IRS will suffice.
                The reason I asked about this, is, I heard, read, that the IRS may hold the representative
                responsible in some instances if the taxpayer does not comply.
                Do not remember where I heard or read this.
                In this particular case the taxpayer owes the IRS around $4,000. and a certified letter
                (copy) was received by me yesterday. This past due balance is from the 2002 return.
                The letter was telling the taxpayer that if the amount due wasnot paid within 30 days
                that their wages would be levied on.

Comment

Poa

Bird Legs,

I have revoked two POAs in the past year. All I did, per instructions, was write "REVOKE" at the top of the 2848 and under my signature, send it to the service center in your area (Fresno here) and any correspondence stops very quickly, maybe 10 days, if that.

Dennis
                  Last edited by DTS; 08-02-2006, 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The original POA was filed several years ago. I do not have a copy of the 2848
                    Page 2 of the instruction for form 2848 tells you what to do when you don't have the original form.

Comment

Thanks, Jan

Will check out the instructions later this evening.
                      Again, Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DTS
                        Bird Legs,

I have revoke two POAs in the past year. All I did, per instructions, was write "REVOKE" at the top of the 2848 and under my signature, send it to the service center in you area (Fresno here) and any correspondence stops very quickly, maybe 10 days, if that.

Dennis

Do you mean a copy of the original 2848 you sent in?

Comment

POA Revocation

That is exactly the way I handled one about a month ago. Had the original 2848, had previously faxed it to IRS. Took the original, wrote revoke on it and dated it and faxed it
                          to the same place I faxed the first copy.

Comment

Misunderstood you

Bird Legs,

I am sorry that I did not see that you do not have the orignial 2848 as stated in your post. I was reading it too quickly and missed that.

I don't know what you would do in a case like this. However, the IRS may be able to email or fax a copy of some sort of document showing you as POA??? If so, I would "REVOKE" that as stated earlier and I would think that should suffice.

Just a guess on my part.

Dennis

Comment

Veritas

I don't remember if the POA was a copy or original. Many times I fax the client the POA to sign and fax back to me. Then I fax that fax to the IRS or FTB. The last one I did, the client was in the office, so I just used wrote "revoke" on the original, made a copy of the revised POA and mailed the copy into Fresno and I had the revised original for my files.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X