Payroll Software Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll Software Recommendations?

Going to end my homemade payroll system in favor of slicker software. Looking for OBJECTIVE evaluations and recommendations - not links to advertisements.

Here are some things I'm looking for:

1) Not Web-based.
    2) Multi-state capabilities and tax tables
    3) Able to add multiple companies
    4) Accommodate up to 100 active employees per company
    5) Labor Distribution capabilities

Looking forward to hearing from you...Thanks
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    Going to end my homemade payroll system in favor of slicker software. Looking for OBJECTIVE evaluations and recommendations - not links to advertisements.

Here are some things I'm looking for:

1) Not Web-based.
    2) Multi-state capabilities and tax tables
    3) Able to add multiple companies
    4) Accommodate up to 100 active employees per company
    5) Labor Distribution capabilities

Looking forward to hearing from you...Thanks
    Quickbooks Enterprise for Accountant

Chris

Comment

What are "Labor Distribution Capabilities?"

Comment

There is a overview by Stanford Uninersity of the Labor Distribution Module of Oracle Financials is one place to explore to see if it meets your needs.

You can also look at SAP in addition to Oracle system.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Labor Distribution

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          What are "Labor Distribution Capabilities?"
          Burke, I have seen some systems where there is only one account to charge for all labor. Labor Distribution should occur based on a distribution of gross pay which is dependent on time card processing.

Comment

QuickBooks would handle all the items you listed. I'm not sure, but it sounds like you would be processing payroll and then giving entries to clients to post to their general ledger? It that's the case, I don't think you would be all that happy w/ QB reporting capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              There is a overview by Stanford Uninersity of the Labor Distribution Module of Oracle Financials is one place to explore to see if it meets your needs.

You can also look at SAP in addition to Oracle system.
              Good suggestions; perhaps Workday should be added in there as well (Workday being the product that the ex-PeopleSoft folks created after Oracle took over PeopleSoft).

However, all of these vendors will push strongly toward web-based solutions, and the investment of not only money but technical software expertise to run these applications in house would be relatively high for most smaller businesses, say less than 500 employees.
              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Stay with what I've got?

Thanks for the responses, and much of them were somewhat expected.

One of the unusual things about me is my mistrust of giving up control. I don't think I'm a control freak, but I have found myself in situations where I've been stuck in the mud without a shovel. I believe web-based takes total control and I'm left at the mercy of software, good or bad. The mention of an "enterprise" solution means $$$.

I'm dealing with having to spend extra time setting up and programming tax table changes. I can do tax table changes if I stick with percentage methods. Time that I don't have, but I may have more satisfaction with driving my own train, and fixing the tracks when necessary.

Thanks again - if I can find a package I would still be interested. The mention of user-hostile full-blown accounting solutions such as SAP is horrifying, and the same goes for the biggie companies such as Intuit, Oracle, PeopleSoft, etc. Very much like TTB - smaller is better.

Comment

Another alternative is to stay with what you have and update where necessary and hire independent IT programmers to work with your knowledge so to keep your control of the process.

This would be similar to those that do not want to buy a computer from the big companies. Rather they can buy parts to build thier own computer and be in charge of their process.

So it can be done the way you want.
                  Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Client Write Up

Drake tax preparation software comes with a companion program Client Write Up. Not sure if its available separately or not. I use it and like it much better that QB

Comment

Working...
                    X