Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-1 from Limited Partnership

I have a K-1 form marked "Tax Basis" - Through 2014 - Basis matches

For 2015 When I add the item entries for income/loss it equals (9,553), K-1 reports under Partner's Capital Account Analysis as (9,183), 370 difference which affects my Basis Worksheet

Requested explanation from Partnership and they respond that it is a book to tax difference - interest expense deducted in 2015, but accrued for book purposes in prior years.

How to handle for input for Basis and 6198 form

Thanks

Sandy

Apparently, the p'ship must have prepared the 2015 K-1 based on book income, which is accrual method, whereas prior years' K-1s were prepared using the tax basis, which, apparently, uses the cash method. Look at the box checked at item L on the K-1. I can't recall a p'ship ever switching like that for K-1s.

In any case, use the $$$ reported on the K-1, and use the same amounts in figuring the partner's tax basis. Remember, his basis includes recourse debt as well as qualified nonrecourse debt.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Thanks Roland
      Year 2014 K-1 - is Tax Basis and does show as that on the K-1 along with item K non recourse of 339 and Qual non recourse of 12,094

All of 2014 matches just fine with the Partners Capital Accounts

Year 2015 - nothing under Item K - Partner's share of liabilities, still reporting Tax Basis Box checked - Ending capital account off by 370 as mentioned above.

This LLC went into foreclosure in 2015, and will be final in 2016 according to the letters received

I am just trying to report correctly on the year 2015 Tax Return for the Member/client - to capture the needed losses in 2016, I have carryforward and suspended losses on this Members Partnership Investment, that should be released on final K-1 in 2016.
      Last edited by S T; 07-13-2016, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Where to report the loss

I'm curious about where to report the loss on the sale of a limited partnership. I have to see a client next week who says his 30,000 investment in a limited partnership has dwindled down to worthless. Does he get a 1099B or just a k-1 with zeros? I'm obviously not familiar with this situation. Thanks.

Comment

If not familiar....

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
          I'm curious about where to report the loss on the sale of a limited partnership. I have to see a client next week who says his 30,000 investment in a limited partnership has dwindled down to worthless. Does he get a 1099B or just a k-1 with zeros? I'm obviously not familiar with this situation. Thanks.
          see IRS pub 541 should address your specific scenario. Think some reading before you meet with the client.

Also: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...d/partnerships
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-29-2018, 11:12 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Thanks, that's what I'm doing.

Comment

Working...
            X