Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Client agreed to a CP2000 notice, can we turn it around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client agreed to a CP2000 notice, can we turn it around?

A client received a CP2000 regarding what the IRS classified as under reported income. They had moved out of state and did not contact us. Instead, they went to an IRS office. The IRS told them they owed the tax and told them to sign that they agreed with the new assessment.

After a friend told them that they did not owe the money, they decided to contact us. We haven't seen the letter yet. I would like to know if anyone here knows the procedure to maybe get it appealed?

Thanks for any input.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

If the T/Ps have not yet paid the additional proposed tax, it may be possible to settle the matter via correspondence. If the additional tax has been paid, file an amended return, F-1040X.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
      If the T/Ps have not yet paid the additional proposed tax, it may be possible to settle the matter via correspondence. If the additional tax has been paid, file an amended return, F-1040X.
      Ok thanks. I was thinking that signing the new assessment was probably like signing the 1040. So I can see where the amended might work.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Working...
      X