Tax Preparer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Preparer

Schedule C process, my client's spouse is self employed earn cash of a $1000 a week as a home help aid want to pay self employment tax quarterly.
    completing sch. c do I file her as marred filing jointly and add her dependent's now and the calendar tax year. the husband is retired.

Thanks for any information

Originally posted by lbarthell View Post
    Schedule C process, my client's spouse is self employed earn cash of a $1000 a week as a home help aid want to pay self employment tax quarterly.
    completing sch. c do I file her as marred filing jointly and add her dependent's now and the calendar tax year. the husband is retired.

Thanks for any information
    To pay self employment tax quarterly you don't need to decide before tax filing the filing status (MFJ or MFS) what you need to do is estimate the self employment tax based on net profits. There are various tools available. CFS has one that is pretty good at estimating the SE tax as long as your input items are reasonably accurate.

More than likely the taxes will be lower if filing status is MFJ but there may be other issues that may make a MFS option better.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Tax Estimate for self-employed home health aide

The spouse is responsible for paying Self-Employment Tax (FICA & Medicare) regardless of her filing status and should be
      sent in on Form 1040-ES on the normal quarterly filing dates.
      It may be that what you're talking about is filing and paying JOINT quarterly estimates because the income tax element of
      the tax would be effected on the joint tax return - since her taxable income increases the income tax base for them to
      file a joint return.
      However, you haven't provided sufficient information as to whether it's more beneficial to file MFJ or MFS. .
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
      X