Proposed tax changes- affect on reasonable salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed tax changes- affect on reasonable salary

Has anyone else paid attention to the tax proposals where tax from business income, including pass through, will be taxed at a lower rate than the regular marginal rates? Trump tax plan wants it to be capped at 15%, House tax plan that came out yesterday caps at 25%, and HR5374 which has been referred to the Ways and Means Committee has tax on pass through income of 10% for first 150K and then 20% up to 1M.

We all know that reasonable salary is currently very open to opinion. Adding the marginal rate difference to the FICA difference and determining what is "reasonable" would be even more important.

I don't think the pols proposing this have any idea the can of worms they will be opening.

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
    Has anyone else paid attention to the tax proposals where tax from business income, including pass through, will be taxed at a lower rate than the regular marginal rates?
    Not me, but we all know the signal-to-noise ratio of politicians usually approaches zero.

I don't think the pols proposing this have any idea the can of worms they will be opening.
    Oh, they do. The Uber drivers and other middle-class wage earners are already in the 10% or 15% tax bracket, so it won't benefit them. It's just tax break for the wealthy, but they will lie about that. It's what politicians do.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Has anyone else paid attention to the tax proposals where tax from business income, including pass through, will be taxed at a lower rate than the regular marginal rates?
      Maybe this is one of the proposals you are talking about?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
        Oh, they do. The Uber drivers and other middle-class wage earners are already in the 10% or 15% tax bracket, so it won't benefit them. It's just tax break for the wealthy, but they will lie about that. It's what politicians do.
        Discussions on whether a tax is "fair" or not are fruitless. I was merely letting people know that we may be facing a different marginal rate if the income comes from a pass-through and that it may effect reasonable salary, which is a very subjective number.

Comment

Discussions on whether a tax is "fair" or not are fruitless. I was merely letting people know that we may be facing a different marginal rate if the income comes from a pass-through and that it may effect reasonable salary, which is a very subjective number.
          I'm wondering if it wouldn't shift favorable bottom line back to Sched C in some cases.

Compare sole prop and S-corp each with $100K net profit.

Sole prop: pay SE tax on full amount, but ALL profit taxed at lower rate (?)

S-corp with $70K compensation: avoid SE(payroll) tax on $30K, but pay FULL tax rate on $70K.

If someone is going to deliberately underpay compensation for S-corp, that's one thing; but if someone pays reasonable comp, then maybe S-corp benefit is no longer always there.

Comment

Working...
          X