Final 1041 required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final 1041 required?

I'm not real familiar with estate returns and unclear if my client (fiduciary) needs to file a final return. We filed for 2015, no tax due, now she wants to file the final return for 2016 and close the estate. There is all of $65 of interest and expenses for her services and tax preparation, that's it. With the $600 exemption there will be no taxable income or tax due. Is a return required to officially close the estate since there was a previous return or can it just close with no further returns after the 2015 initial one?

(Note: the 2015 was required so we could report cost basis on some investments and there was no capital gains on the sale of the investment.)

Thanks,
    Daniel
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

If there was no capital gain, was there a capital loss? If so, that passes out to the bene's on the final return's K-1's. Ditto on sale of real estate. So a return might not be required, but might be beneficial. I like to do a final if one was filed previously just to close it out.

Comment

File It

I too would file it whether required or not just to gain closure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        I too would file it whether required or not just to gain closure.
        Thanks for the opinions, I will recommend a final return. I'll have to take a look at whether there was a capital loss on the 2015 that could pass through to heirs.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X