amended return processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amended return processing

I checked the "where's my amended return" for client. A couple weeks ago, it just said that it was received. Now it says:

"Your amended return was received on March 11, 2016. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call 800-829-0582, extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

I'm not understanding what that means. Is the new message because it's now outside of the 12 week window? Does it mean that there is a problem and client actually needs to call? It seems like if there was a problem, there would have been snail mail correspondence w/ client.

Not bad with the amount of time. IRS told one of my clients about 16 weeks because backed up and it is with another division/group.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

my experience

I'm looking at a page I printed with the exact same message you got. I think it means they have not Processed it, not that there is a problem.

Here is a recap of my experience:

03/16/15 filed 2013 year Form 1040X claiming refund of $3,436

07/24/15 Where's My Amended Return 2013 said "Your amended return was received on March 20,2015. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please call 800-829-0582 extension 623 between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm. Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

07/24/15 I did call that number and got a busy signal. Called back and hung up after it said the wait time was 1 hour 30 minutes

07/28/15 Called again. Wait time 30-60 minutes. I decided to write a letter.

07/29/15 Sent a letter. "Please send my refund of $3,436 . . . and a brief summary of why it was amended"

09/29/15 Sent letter 2. Along with another sentence or 2, it said "This is the second inquiry I have made and I have heard nothing. What is holding up the processing of this return?"

10/02/15 Irs sent Letter 324C asking we fax W-2 and other documents. The letter had no FAX number on it. (Really!)

10/14/15 We sent letter 3, along with all backup documentation for the tax return. And an explanation of the error.

11/16/15 IRS sent letter 2645C saying "IRS will respond within 45 days" They did NOT!

02/08/16 TP got his refund of $3,436 plus interest of $189.42. 11 months later!

We never did get an explanation of why it was held up. I thought it was because he was getting such a large refund! Sorry this is so long. But I thought it might help you explain to your client that their situation is not abnormal.

Comment

Working...
      X