S-Corp Distributions tax treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Corp Distributions tax treatment

S Corp distribution are taxed as long term Capital Gains. They flow over to the individual tax payers 1040. This is where I am getting confused, it adds to the Total Income and flows down the 1040.

Does this mean that S-Corp Distributions get taxed LTCG + Fed Income Tax? Or at the 2nd part of the 1040 its taxed as LTCG and not Fed Income tax?

Thanks everyone in advance for their guidance.

See TTB tab 19 and 19-8 for explanation
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Taxable Distributions

Just to clarify/address the OP's statement that "S Corp distribution are taxed as long term Capital Gains", not all S-Corp distributions are taxable. Only distributions in excess of basis are considered taxable.
      Last edited by abctax; 05-25-2016, 04:23 PM. Reason: refine

Comment

Originally posted by abctax View Post
        Just to clarify/address the OP's statement that "S Corp distribution are taxed as long term Capital Gains", not all S-Corp distributions are taxable. Only distributions in excess of basis are considered taxable.
        Yes one good reference (as you know there are many) See TTB tab 19 and 19-8 for explanation.

Think that the above mentioned reference gives simplified explanations and think it may be helpful to the original post as a starting point. Yes?
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Yup

I agree - but I was just a bit bothered with that OP "blanket statement" for any future searchers that might not bother with the link/and reading it :-)

Comment

Working...
          X