Expenses Incurred - No Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Incurred - No Income

Have a client with professional degree, retired with pension and social security, but normally receives both W-2 and 1099 income for part-time gigs. This year, no income but still has travel expense of various job-related conferences amounting to over $4k. Still deductible?

Depends

If he was trying to earn money, if he was open for business then take the deductions. If he was not open for business then do not take deductions.

Comment

He was available for assignments throughout the year, but only one was performed -- in November, and they did not pay him for it until just recently. The travel I was concerned about was an international conference which he attends every year or so, as that was the biggest expense with airfare & lodging. And I usually prorate expenses between 2106 and Sche C, but no income this year, so I guess 2106, which will include other expenses besides travel, such as dues, subscriptions, business license, etc.
      Last edited by Burke; 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        He was available for assignments throughout the year, but only one was performed -- in November, and they did not pay him for it until just recently. The travel I was concerned about was an international conference which he attends every year or so, as that was the biggest expense with airfare & lodging. And I usually prorate expenses between 2106 and Sche C, but no income this year, so I guess 2106, which will include other expenses besides travel, such as dues, subscriptions, business license, etc.
        Sounds like client had a bad year waiting months to get paid but yet incurred business expenses. If cash basis how do you prorate prior year travel expense?

As long as client has a profit motive and not a hobby and meets the IRS code about what you know about clients business expenses and can support client's position, it may be deductible.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

2106 or C

If the 2016 income will be reported on a W-2 then take all 2015 expenses on 2106. If 2016 income will be on Schedule C then tale all expenses on 2015 Schedule C.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
            If the 2016 income will be reported on a W-2 then take all 2015 expenses on 2106. If 2016 income will be on Schedule C then tale all expenses on 2015 Schedule C.
            Will you share difference on how recognizing prior year expenses by cash basis W-2 the following year vs Schedule C in year of expense ?

Thanks
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Good point, Kram. I checked some prior years' returns, and this particular one pays him on a W-2 as an employee. So will take on 2106. Tks.

Comment

I can't find anything in the 2106 Instructions or Publication 529 that says this, but I have stuck in my head that a 2106 deduction is limited to the amount on the W-2.

Did I just imagine this, or can anybody find something on that?

Comment

Well, that was my concern too and what prompted my post. The only thing I can find regarding that is the Office in Home and/or 179 deductions, which are limited to earned income. So that's out this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X