1065 and guaranteed payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1065 and guaranteed payments

2 partners, one works in the business and receives a GP. other one works, but no GP. they both split the proceeds or losses 50/50. Is the guaranteed payment put on the 1065 as an expense to the business and also a guaranteed payment on the K-1 to that partner? Can't get this straight in my head.

the partner that works does extra cleaning. last year I issued her a 1099 and did not give her a guaranteed pymt for that amount. But an auditor said that since she was a partner, she didn't need a 1099. but now I'm confused on how I deduct?

Comment

The Guaranteed Payments are reported on Line 10 of the 1065, which reduces the Partnership's "ordinary business income". No 1099 is issued because it goes in box 4 of the K-1.

For example, let's say the company had $100,000 of income, and no other expenses. Guaranteed Payments to Partner #1 are $20,000.

Page one of the 1065 will show $100,000 on Line 1 (and Line 8), $20,000 on Line 10 (and Line 21), and $80,000 on Line 22.

Partner #1's K-1 will show $40,000 in box 1, $20,000 in box 4, and probably $60,000 in box 14.

Partner #2's K-1 will show $40,000 in box 1, and probably $40,000 in box 14.

Does that clarify things?

Comment

partner does laundry for business and gets paid $2000. I think that is a guaranteed payment for services. Does that $2000 become an expense to the partnership as a line item on line 20, other expenses? or does the $2000 guaranteed payment make it an expense, without a line item. WHen I gave her a 1099 for laundry, I used as an expense, but making it a guaranteed payment doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
          partner does laundry for business and gets paid $2000. I think that is a guaranteed payment for services. Does that $2000 become an expense to the partnership as a line item on line 20, other expenses? or does the $2000 guaranteed payment make it an expense, without a line item. WHen I gave her a 1099 for laundry, I used as an expense, but making it a guaranteed payment doesn't?
          Guaranteed payments are an expense, same as a 1099. Partners should not receive a 1099, and they also can not receive wages. Think of GP as equivalent to a salary of an S shareholder/employee.

Comment

Can that be

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
            Guaranteed payments are an expense, same as a 1099. Partners should not receive a 1099, and they also can not receive wages. Think of GP as equivalent to a salary of an S shareholder/employee.
            Can that be to "Think of GP as equivalent to a salary of an S shareholder/employee."

Guaranteed payments are not subject to a state's unemployment, disability & family leave taxes whereas
            a S shareholder/employee would be. No?
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              Can that be to "Think of GP as equivalent to a salary of an S shareholder/employee."

Guaranteed payments are not subject to a state's unemployment, disability & family leave taxes whereas
              a S shareholder/employee would be. No?
              The more appropriate word should have been concept instead of equivalent. GPs are a way to compensate for time and effort when not equal for all partners.

Comment

Working...
              X