Email from myself w/attachment that I never sent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from myself w/attachment that I never sent

Today I received an email w/attachment from myself for which I never emailed. How do these hackers pull this off? About a month ago I opened an email w/attachment for which I thought it was from my client only to find out it was the "money" virus. The virus locked most of my PDF, Excel, Word etc and thankfully I had them backed up a couple weeks before. I have "Windows Defender" and "Malwarebytes (free version)" for protection. Any suggestions on any other(s) that will not conflict with either of these?

Free

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Today I received an email w/attachment from myself for which I never emailed. How do these hackers pull this off? About a month ago I opened an email w/attachment for which I thought it was from my client only to find out it was the "money" virus. The virus locked most of my PDF, Excel, Word etc and thankfully I had them backed up a couple weeks before. I have "Windows Defender" and "Malwarebytes (free version)" for protection. Any suggestions on any other(s) that will not conflict with either of these?
    Suggest if you have a professional business get rid of the "FREE" or "cheap" Malware and get a more professional antivirus and malware software. Better software will cost (not free) money since they are in the business world like any business.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Dealing with fake emails

I don't think the fault necessarily lies with AZ-TAX.

When I (regularly) review my junk (webmail) email file, I will often see something from a client/friend and I **KNOW** that person did not send me the email.

Yes, I've even seen a couple from myself. . .although these are quite rare. Not much different from seeing an incoming call (via caller ID on TV) from yours truly. . .while I am nowhere near a telephone. These folks are crafty!!

Messages are usually something like "FE. . .thought you might enjoy this [link]. . .Bob" . Anyone who clicks on attachments is simply asking for serious trouble.

It is generally the sender's email/Facebook/who knows that has been hacked.

While I have what I consider good antivirus software, AND I am running a regularly-updated Win 10 system (hope no one is still playing around with WIN XP!! ) these types of incoming messages are normally "caught" by my email provider and never have a chance to get near my own computer.

FE

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
        I don't think the fault necessarily lies with AZ-TAX.

When I (regularly) review my junk (webmail) email file, I will often see something from a client/friend and I **KNOW** that person did not send me the email.

Yes, I've even seen a couple from myself. . .although these are quite rare. Not much different from seeing an incoming call (via caller ID on TV) from yours truly. . .while I am nowhere near a telephone. These folks are crafty!!

Messages are usually something like "FE. . .thought you might enjoy this [link]. . .Bob" . Anyone who clicks on attachments is simply asking for serious trouble.

It is generally the sender's email/Facebook/who knows that has been hacked.

While I have what I consider good antivirus software, AND I am running a regularly-updated Win 10 system (hope no one is still playing around with WIN XP!! ) these types of incoming messages are normally "caught" by my email provider and never have a chance to get near my own computer.

FE
        NOPE, just saying that the "FREE" software is not the best for a business or individual (though some may like it). Heard many nightmares of using the "FREE" ones after the fact. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          It's very easy to send an email showing any sender address desired. My software vendor sends out efile acknowledgments (Form 9325) using my email as the sender, that is what I want them to do.

If your last backup was a couple of weeks before, I respectfully suggest you are not making enough backups. Backups are about how many different points in time can you roll back to. The more, the better. How many hours of work would you mind losing? That's how often you should make backups.

Agree with TAXNJ, higher quality security/protection software is called for. What does your privacy policy (mandated by Gramm Leach Bliley) say as to your procedures for protecting the clients' data? How did you find out it was the "money" virus? What do you mean by "locked" your PDF/Office files?
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Huh ?

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
            NOPE, just saying that the "FREE" software is not the best for a business or individual (though some may like it). Heard many nightmares of using the "FREE" ones after the fact. Just saying.

My antivirus software is certainly **NOT** "free."

I did get a "free" (3-month) subscription to a McAfee product with my new computer. . .but I ditched that as soon as I could.

FE

Comment

Not

My antivirus software is certainly **NOT** "free."

I did get a "free" (3-month) subscription to a McAfee product with my new computer. . .but I ditched that as soon as I could.

FE
              Was referring to your first reply post comment "I don't think the fault necessarily lies with AZ-TAX". Nope meant I agree with your comment.

Comment

FE
                Shall I consider that as an endorsement to update to Win 10? I have been on the fence as to whether update to Win 10 or not for months already.

Comment

Win 10 system

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
                  Shall I consider that as an endorsement to update to Win 10? I have been on the fence as to whether update to Win 10 or not for months already.
                  I had been using a Win 7 system for some time, and with the tragic demise of my computer in early March I was forced to have a quick transition to Win 10 with the replacement computer. It takes some patience to learn its quirks, but overall it is not a difficult transition from Win 7 to Win 10. Helpful word if you upgrade an existing computer: "backups!!"

Fortunately, I never traipsed into the land of Win 8 or, even worse, VISTA .

As for XP systems. . .they basically are old and could present some serious issues with newer software and even with web-browsing. I would be greatly concerned also with security issues that Win XP might now expose you to. In many cases, it might be like putting chicken wire oven an open window and feeling you are protected from mosquitoes.

FE

Comment

Correction LOCKY ransomware virus

[QUOTE=Rapid Robert;181682]How did you find out it was the "money" virus? What do you mean by "locked" your PDF/Office files?[/QUOTE

Correction, it was the LOCKY ransomware virus. Anyone ever had this virus before?

Comment

Working...
                    X