Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth ira & homebuyer

Question:IRCSection 72(t)8(D)(i)(I) Roth IRA early withdrawals

Background: Client has Roth IRA, held for over 5 years, age 46, married with children. He and wife have separated, living separately, he moved out, wife is in the original home with children. There original home is paid for, no mortgage. Original mortgage in both husband and wifes' names.

He needs to set up a new home, is he able to take a $10,000 withdrawal from his Roth IRA without penalty to purchase a home?

Rules as I understand them, are ROTH IRA withdrawals prior to 591/2 is $10,000 withdrawal allowed for first time homebuyer only. Any exceptions for separation and divorce?

Thank you in advance.
    EA_TAX, NY

If it's a Roth, he can take out his principal at any time for any reason with no tax consequences.

Comment

lion is correct but, he wouldn't qualify because he is not divorced and the exception says "has not owned a principal residence for at least two years."

Comment

But, he doesn't need an exception to avoid the 10% penalty if he takes out his principal, nor is he limited to $10,000 from a qualifying Roth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          But, he doesn't need an exception to avoid the 10% penalty if he takes out his principal, nor is he limited to $10,000 from a qualifying Roth.
          Hard part usually is verifying the contribution/conversion basis in the Roth -- it's very easy to lose the carryforward info if taxpayer ever switched preparers or DIY software over the years. I've had to scour IRS transcripts for Form 8606 and Form 5498 info going back many years in a few cases.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
          X