Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-file extension then send payment by mail...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file extension then send payment by mail...

I e-filed federal extension (no payment) for client in March. In April, client mailed a form 4868 with an extension payment to the IRS. Since the IRS already has accepted the e-filed extension will they still accept the extension payment that arrived with the 4868 in the mail? I'm guessing that the check will be deposited and appropriately credited to the client account. Anyone have any experience with this? Seems like the paper form would at least help the IRS know where to apply the payment even though the extension has already been approved.

From 4868 instructions

Note: If you e-file Form 4868 and mail a check or money order to
    the IRS for payment, use a completed paper Form 4868 as a
    voucher. Please note with your payment that your extension request
    was originally filed electronically

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
      I e-filed federal extension (no payment) for client in March. In April, client mailed a form 4868 with an extension payment to the IRS. Since the IRS already has accepted the e-filed extension will they still accept the extension payment that arrived with the 4868 in the mail? I'm guessing that the check will be deposited and appropriately credited to the client account. Anyone have any experience with this? Seems like the paper form would at least help the IRS know where to apply the payment even though the extension has already been approved.
      If the payment was sent with a Form 4868, I cannot think of any reason that the IRS would not know where to apply it.

Comment

Your way

Originally posted by RightOn View Post
        If the payment was sent with a Form 4868, I cannot think of any reason that the IRS would not know where to apply it.
        You can do it your way and some will follow IRS instructions as DAVID1980 posted by following instructions to be right on. Not difficult.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 04-19-2016, 01:07 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
        X