New Jersey Resident works New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Jersey Resident works New York

I am not real familiar with this and I know that there are several on the Board that can provide the answer for me, at least I hope they will share

Have TP that lives in NJ and works in New York

Same employer - total Box 1 Wages are 39,563 - have 2 state W-2 forms
    NJ State W2 is 41,837 (not sure why) with no State withholding and a NY State W2 is 39,563 with NY State withholding

File a NJ resident return and a NY non resident return - credit for other state tax on NJ?

Next question TP works for Memorial Sloan Kettering Ny,NY - I am hoping there is no NY City tax?

I appreciate your time and knowledge

Sandy

No City Tax

for those only working in NYC. Only for those "living" AND "working" in NYC.

Credit for taxes paid to NY taken on NJ-1040, Schedule A only for the wages earned in and reported to NY.

Not sure about different #'s on W-2. Perhaps he did some tele-commuter work from home and thus subject to NJ taxes on that part of the income, the $2274 difference?
    Oh, same employer. Perhaps he did work in NJ office of this employer.

Comment

NJ has some different rules about excluding different benefits (retirement) from wages....

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        NJ has some different rules about excluding different benefits (retirement) from wages....
        Lion is correct - the NJ wages will often be different than the federal wages. Be careful on your software input - the NJ box may populate with the amount in the federal box. You may need to override that entry (I speak from experience )

To clarify what Grace said - the NYC tax is only imposed on residents of NYC. NYC residents don't need to work in NYC to have the city tax liability.

Comment

[QUOTE=
          To clarify what Grace said - the NYC tax is only imposed on resident of NYC. NYC residents don't need to work in NYC to have the city tax liability.[/QUOTE]

Confused by this statement. There is no NYC tax noted on the W-2 for the NY - not being familar with where the Employer is located - just wondered if I need to review that as well for NYC tax as a non-resident

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
            Confused by this statement. There is no NYC tax noted on the W-2 for the NY - not being familar with where the Employer is located - just wondered if I need to review that as well for NYC tax as a non-resident

Sandy
            I'm not sure why you are confused. The location of the employer is irrelevant.

the NYC tax is only imposed on residents of NYC

Grace said "Only for those "living" AND "working" in NYC." That is not true. Only the first part of the conjunctive statement is true. RESIDENTS of NYC pay NYC income tax. Your taxpayer lives in NJ - not subject to NY CITY tax.

Postscript - There is one exception (but it is not relevant to your post) that deals with certain employees of the City of New York.
            Last edited by New York Enrolled Agent; 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks - was probably reading more into the post than I should of for the NYC tax - I have a NYC full year resident and I know I have to calculate that for her.

Sandy

Comment

Many years ago

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                I'm not sure why you are confused. The location of the employer is irrelevant.

the NYC tax is only imposed on residents of NYC

Grace said "Only for those "living" AND "working" in NYC." That is not true. Only the first part of the conjunctive statement is true. RESIDENTS of NYC pay NYC income tax. Your taxpayer lives in NJ - not subject to NY CITY tax.

Postscript - There is one exception (but it is not relevant to your post) that deals with certain employees of the City of New York.
                Yes that tax was repealed as of July 1, 1999. Now the City of New York only taxes its resident except as mentioned in your postscript.
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                X