Partnership Real Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partnership Real Estate

Client (Partnership) has purchased land to build a commercial building to rent to a medical office. He closed on the land and construction loan on 12/31/2015. In addition closing costs he has incurred about #32,000 in civil engineering, legal and architect fees in September of 2015 to survey the land, excavation etc. I am not planning to do anything with closing costs this year for just one day.

However, how should he treat the $32,000 in other costs incurred for 2015. If these costs can be deducted or amortized can he use form 8825(Rental Real Estate Income and Expenses of a Partnership or an S Corporation)to report these costs because next year he will have his building completed and rented. If so can questions relating to fair rental days etc be left blank on the form? Thank you.

start up costs or addition to basis depending what the costs were for. I wouldn't report it until he has rental income.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Comment

Add to Basis

Don't just ignore the $32,000 - the items you mentioned are all legitimate additions to the depreciable basis for future years.

And also, if rental activity is all that is happening, Form 8825 will be usable for everything. Means no "ordinary income" subject to SE tax to be reported on the 1065.

Comment

Thank you. No I was not going to ignore the $32,000 just was trying to see if client could benefit this year. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X