Ex husband claiming ex wife who lives with daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex husband claiming ex wife who lives with daughter

TP (daughter) has been taking care of her Mom for the past 3 yrs in daughters home and pays over 50% of her Moms expense so I ask daughter if her mom was filing a tax return and she replied no and then I asked how much money Mom makes and it is small SS checks not enough to pay over 50% of her (Mom) support. So TP brings over her Moms SSA-1099 and a 1095-C. That was odd a 1095-C but upon closer look it looks like the TP's dad (TP's mom & dad are divorced) is and has claimed her Mom on his past tax returns by the Moms name appearing as a covered individual on the form 1095-B. The Dad names appears in Part 1 line 1 of form 1095-B. TP wants to know what her next step is to convince the IRS she is entitled to claiming her Mom. Anyone have experience with this before?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    TP (daughter) has been taking care of her Mom for the past 3 yrs in daughters home and pays over 50% of her Moms expense so I ask daughter if her mom was filing a tax return and she replied no and then I asked how much money Mom makes and it is small SS checks not enough to pay over 50% of her (Mom) support. So TP brings over her Moms SSA-1099 and a 1095-C. That was odd a 1095-C but upon closer look it looks like the TP's dad (TP's mom & dad are divorced) is and has claimed her Mom on his past tax returns by the Moms name appearing as a covered individual on the form 1095-B. The Dad names appears in Part 1 line 1 of form 1095-B. TP wants to know what her next step is to convince the IRS she is entitled to claiming her Mom. Anyone have experience with this before?
    Did the mother know that her ex was claiming her as a dependent?

Was the ex wife on her ex husbands insurance prior to going on medicare?

If the daughter wants to dig up old graves it will certainly cause some family friction.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Have you confirm that Dad actually has been claiming Mom as a dependent? Just being on Dad's 1095 does not necessarily mean he is claiming her on his tax return.

If Dad has been claiming Mom as a dependent, the first step should be for your client to talk to Dad about it. If your client wants to fight Dad about it, she needs to fill out the Support sheet (with documented proof of the numbers) to prove that she paid over 50% of Mom's support.

Comment

Divorce papers may require dad to provide medical for mom....if she is not living with him he cannot take her as a dependent unless he is providing more than half of her support. Bet IRS would like this information.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X