Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is court ordered Mortgage payments Alimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is court ordered Mortgage payments Alimony?

My client is getting divorced...but not final yet. They separated in 2014 and did not live together in 2015. So in 2015 the "Temporary Order Ruling" states that .....

Wife is granted the exclusive use of the former family home. And also states that, in lieu of any temporary spousal support award, Husband shall be solely responsible for the mortgage, taxes and insurance on the family home. This was for May thru October 2015. Starting November 1, 2015 it was changed to where the wife had to start paying the Mortgage and Husband had to start paying $700 a month alimony + child support.

Now January thru April husband paid the house payment 100%, not court ordered.

My question is...can he deduct as Mortgage interest any and how much of the Mortgage interest he paid January thru April?

And is the payment amount considered Alimony for the payments he made for May thru October?

Thank you for any input here.

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
    My client is getting divorced...but not final yet. They separated in 2014 and did not live together in 2015. So in 2015 the "Temporary Order Ruling" states that .....

Wife is granted the exclusive use of the former family home. And also states that, in lieu of any temporary spousal support award, Husband shall be solely responsible for the mortgage, taxes and insurance on the family home. This was for May thru October 2015. Starting November 1, 2015 it was changed to where the wife had to start paying the Mortgage and Husband had to start paying $700 a month alimony + child support.

My question is...can he deduct as Mortgage interest any and how much of the Mortgage interest he paid January thru April?

And is the payment amount considered Alimony for the payments he made for May thru October?

Assuming the husband has not yet signed a quit claim deed for the house, I say he can deduct on sch A the mortgage interest and taxes actually paid.

Those amounts can not be considered alimony in a true legal sense. It is basically a court order.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

spousal support is not alimony unless it meets the regulations that make it alimony

spousal support is not alimony unless it meets the regulations that make it alimony
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

What about....

Would the payments paid May thru October be considered Alimony? In my original post....Temporary Order Ruling states. "In lieu of any temporary spousal support award, Husband shall be solely responsible for the mortgage, taxes and insurance on the family home. This was for May thru October 2015."

So the house payment that included Mortgage, Insurance & Taxes was $1369 per month. So $1369 X 5 = $6845. Would this be considered Alimony?

Comment

Must be designated as such

Matters of support, settlement, arrangements, etc. cannot be considered as alimony unless designated as such in the decree. To your original question I would say AT BEST only those amounts actually paid beginning in November can be classified as alimony. Not even sure of that if the divorce is not yet final.

Comment

Would the payments paid May thru October be considered Alimony? In my original post....Temporary Order Ruling states. "In lieu of any temporary spousal support award, Husband shall be solely responsible for the mortgage, taxes and insurance on the family home. This was for May thru October 2015."

So the house payment that included Mortgage, Insurance & Taxes was $1369 per month. So $1369 X 5 = $6845. Would this be considered Alimony?
            You should take a look at Reg. ยง1.71-1T (Q&A 6). Depending on the exact facts of your case, it might answer your question.

Comment

no spousal support is not alimony unless it meets the alimony rules.

Comment

Nyea reply

As NYEA states depending on the facts in your scenario, have you looked at NYEA post reply?

That may provide better support to your scenario. Let us know.
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

What about on Sch A?

Can he take any property taxes or mortgage interest? He did pay the mortgage payments Jan thru Oct. (court order was only May-Oct).
                  So can he deduct any of it on Sch A? If so how much?
                  Last edited by nwtaxlady; 04-11-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

He can deduct the amounts he paid on Sche A.

Comment

No...only deductible as alimony if it is specifically stated in the court papers as alimony. Spousal support is not alimony unless it meets the alimony requirements.

Comment

Working...
                      X