2 month new born and child tax credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 month new born and child tax credit

With the child not living in the house hold for more than half the year(one of the qualifying rules) no credit?
    Child born November 2015 Tax wise software would not figure credit This must be the reason. What you say?

Originally posted by arlo View Post
    With the child not living in the house hold for more than half the year(one of the qualifying rules) no credit?
    Child born November 2015 Tax wise software would not figure credit This must be the reason. What you say?
    A child is considered to live with taxpayer for all of year if born during year. Child tax credit should apply. You must not have entered something incorrectly in software.

Comment

I used to tell my clients who had baby during the year, "think about it, the baby was in your belly for 9 months". IRS explains this situation very well in pub 15

Comment

I have to put "12" in the months lived in household for my software to calculate it. I would think yours does too.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
          I used to tell my clients who had baby during the year, "think about it, the baby was in your belly for 9 months". IRS explains this situation very well in pub 15
          I had a client with a third trimester miscarriage last month. She asked about next years taxes and I told her that without a SSN we couldn't do anything. She told me at even though the baby only lived for a couple hours there was a SSN issued. I had no idea it worked that way. Guess we can learn things from our clients.

Comment

I have a box to check that says "child born and died in the same year." That should enable the deduction. A third trimester birth would not be considered a miscarriage. It would be a premature birth since the child lived. A stillbirth if it did not.
            Last edited by Burke; 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Congrats

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
              Great view point. Question if the baby is born 3 months into the following year do you take the dependent in prior year for the six months in the belly?
              Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-31-2016, 04:30 PM.
              Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Always

Originally posted by arlo View Post
                In the scenario you state it is best to:

1 - know what the IRS code states and that's what you follow (not the software)

2 - if software issue it helps to call tech support to tell them the problem or if input issue the problem it is the person doing the input

3 - see TTB 3-15 Exception to Time Lived With Taxpayer
                Death or birth. An individual is considered to have lived with the taxpayer for all of 2015 if he or she was born or died in 2015, and the taxpayer’s home was the his or her home for the entire time he or she was alive.

4 - see other post replies
                Last edited by TAXNJ; 04-01-2016, 07:19 AM.
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Many years back I lost a client because I entered the new born DOB into a tax prep software and did not check it before presenting the copy to the client. Software did not calculate CTC correctly (This client has 5 or 6 kids so the names are on a statement). Some software require you to input lived 12 months to calculate correctly.
                  Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Another reason may be that the TP's income is above the phase-out level for CTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      I have a box to check that says "child born and died in the same year." That should enable the deduction. A third trimester birth would not be considered a miscarriage. It would be a premature birth since the child lived. A stillbirth if it did not.
                      I had a client who had a child that was born stillborn a few years ago. She carried her for the full term and then something happened and she was stillborn. The tax deduction wasn't allowed because the child wasn't alive when born. I don't understand why a child born and lives for only a few hours can be claimed but a child that goes full term and then dies before the actual birth is not allowed. But then I don't understand a lot, so...

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                        I had a client with a third trimester miscarriage last month. She asked about next years taxes and I told her that without a SSN we couldn't do anything. She told me at even though the baby only lived for a couple hours there was a SSN issued. I had no idea it worked that way. Guess we can learn things from our clients.
                        if she miscarried the child was still-born. If delivered and died within two hours it is not a miscarriage but, rather, a deductible dependent.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                        X