Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we allowed to add sales tax on travel trailers to the sales tax table amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we allowed to add sales tax on travel trailers to the sales tax table amount?

Are we allowed to add sales tax on travel trailers to the sales tax obtained from the sales tax table?

This travel trailer does not have a motor & is bumper pulled for vacations & camping trips.

Since it has bathroom & sleeping quarters, I know we are allowed the interest paid on its loan as a 2nd home.

I know we can use it if using the actual sales tax paid method.

I could see where this topic was discussed many years ago.

However, I would like some documentation somewhere showing the sales tax on travel trailers are allowed in addition to the sales tax table method. Surely, by now there is something in writing or decided in courts that either allow or disallow it's sales tax deduction in addition to the sales tax table. But, I can't find anything.

I would appreciate any & all help. mikeburg

I don't think so. Only vehicles powered by a motor are specified in the IRS pubs -- cars, trucks, motorcycles, RV's, etc.

Comment

You could of course use actual sales tax paid instead of using the table amounts from the Schedule A instructions. I have one client that does that. They save every single receipt and add up the sales tax paid. It works out well for them. Obviously most taxpayers aren't going to do that much effort.

Comment

Kitchen?

Slightly off topic but ".....Since it has bathroom & sleeping quarters, I know we are allowed the interest paid on its loan as a 2nd home."

Isn't a kitchen also a requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeburg
          Are we allowed to add sales tax on travel trailers to the sales tax obtained from the sales tax table?
          Of course. The unit probably qualifies as a motor vehicle, but if it doesn't, then it certainly qualifies as a home, as long as it has sleeping, bathroom and kitchen facilities.

See the instructions for Schedule A (F-1040).
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

He said it was a "trailer." And it is not self-propelled, and is hauled behind a motor vehicle.

Comment

Thank you so very much! And I forgot to mention it a has kitchen.

Thank you so very much! And I forgot to mention it a has kitchen.

mikeburg

Comment

Working...
              X