land use and charitable donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

land use and charitable donation

My client has 7 acres of farm land with barns and equipment. He is donating the use of this farm land, barn and equipment to a 501(c)(3) for their horses. He would normally rent the land. Can the client claim rental income at the FMV for the land but claim a larger charitable deduction for the use of barn and equipment? For example the FMV rent is $500 per month, claimed as rental income on the farm. Clients want to have a charitable deduction for $750 per month. Is this right? any assistance or IRS rulings would help to explain to my client.
    Thanks
    Noel
    Noel
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

He can deduct expenses he pays to maintain the farm but he cannot deduct income that he doesn't receive.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      He can deduct expenses he pays to maintain the farm but he cannot deduct income that he doesn't receive.
      I would have a hard time taking any kind of deduction. He for sure cannot deduct money "he would have received". He didn't donate the equipment or barn or land. He donated them "time to use it".

Chris

Comment

I agree with the above. No deduction.

Comment

thank you

for helping me out/
          Noel
          "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
          X