Mortgage Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Interest

Taxpayer refinances home mortgage in early part of 2015 and takes out $175,000. Taxpayer is using $125,000 to gift to children and the remaining $50,000 is put in saving to apply to home improvements but home improvements have not commenced. Can the $50,000 still be considered acquisition debt or is there a time period that the improvements need to be done after the refinancing of the home in order to be considered acquisition debt?

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
    Taxpayer refinances home mortgage in early part of 2015 and takes out $175,000. Taxpayer is using $125,000 to gift to children and the remaining $50,000 is put in saving to apply to home improvements but home improvements have not commenced. Can the $50,000 still be considered acquisition debt or is there a time period that the improvements need to be done after the refinancing of the home in order to be considered acquisition debt?
    Takes out the loan early in 2015 and has not yet made improvements-- To me it's all personal home equity debt, not acquisition debt.

Comment

allocate the home improvement portion as deductible interest...but not until the funds are used for that purpose. The balance of the "gift" interest is not deductible as mortgage interest.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

$100,000 of the new loan's principal is a home equity loan, so the interest on $100,000 of the $175,000 is deductible. If some of the proceeds are eventually used for actual home improvements, then that portion will become a home acquisition cost, and more of the loan's interest will become deductible as qualified residence interest. See Code ยง163 and related Regs.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Thanks to all.

Peggy Sioux

Comment

Working...
          X