Federal Return didn't list automatic payment account number when e-filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal Return didn't list automatic payment account number when e-filed

I prepared the federal and MA return that had a payment due on each. They were each e-filed with no problem, except I forgot to include the account number for them to automatically withdraw the payment from. The client can certainly send in the money before the deadline without problem (under $100 each). How would you handle this situation? I don't want to confuse the issue by sending it in if she should handle another way. Usually, if I don't include the account number I would get an error message or it would ask for the account number. Thanks for any responses!

Account Number was entered

I found out the account numbers were entered. It was not my error. The error was that the client did not pay her last estimated tax on time. So this is another question. Seeing the small payment that was going to be automatically withdrawn from the client's account on 4/1/16, can they (only for the state return), or would they automatically take out the total she owes which would include both the amount owed showing on the return plus the estimated payment that was made late? Or would they just take out the amount owed that showed on the return? The client has to check her checking account for when the checks were really sent and cashed, and if the last payment was made late I assume the state will apply that to 2016 and not 2015. Wouldn't you know, this is the first time she didn't list on the organizer the payments, I questioned her, and she said she made them and on time! Ugh!!! Thanks for any help!

Comment

Paying the extra

I don't think ANY tax agency would "automatically" take out any amount. They will take out what you told them to take out.

At some point the return you filed with come up short (the amount you showed for estimated payments was too large) and there will be a balance due more or less corresponding to the unpaid estimated payment.

Have you considered making a "late" 4th quarter estimated payment, perhaps online? That might work.

I probably would just wait for the bill, assuming the only error is what was shown as *2016* payments and nothing that would otherwise mess up the overall return, such as you claimed the wrong amount of state taxes on Schedule A. Then you would have to deal with an amended return. . .

FE

Comment

Working...
      X