8885 Health Coverage Tax Credit?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8885 Health Coverage Tax Credit?!

I've done research but hit a wall with questions. Is there anyway to determine from a W-2 whether an employer paid 50% or more? Also would a w-2 be proof that insurance was paid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eligible TAA recipient?

Rare credit. This credit is only available to eligible TAA, ATAA, RTAA, PBGC recipients. I'd verify that the taxpayer actually qualifies before worrying about anything else.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
      Rare credit. This credit is only available to eligible TAA, ATAA, RTAA, PBGC recipients. I'd verify that the taxpayer actually qualifies before worrying about anything else.

http://forum.thetaxbook.com/showthre...742#post178742
      It doesn't seem rare this year :/ Two customers:

Customer A receives TAA, and received PTC
      Customer B receives ATAA (as shown on his 1099-G)

Both received letters from Texas Workforce that they may qualify for HCTC

Comment

That's good news then as the eligible TAA/ATAA recipient is usually the hard part on qualifying for the credit. For the original question I don't believe a W-2 will give you the information you need to determine eligibility. For example, the ATAA recipient would be disqualified if they were eligible for insurance where the employer would have paid 50% or more of the cost of the coverage even if the employee declined said coverage. If you're lucky the taxpayers weren't eligible for employer provided insurance at all and you can rule it out. Otherwise that's probably a question the taxpayer is going to have to ask their employer not something reported on a W-2.

Comment

Working...
        X