Air BNB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air BNB

I am seeing for the first time several clients that have rented out their personal residence or vacation home through Air BNB. I am wanting to find out how to deal with the depreciation piece and allocation of expenses as the days rented varies. Any information you can offer would be most appreciated

It generally comes under the less-than-7-day average stay rules, and it is not considered a passive activity. I have a client who does this and it is a Sche C business. See IRC 1.469.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-08-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

The people I have are exceeding the 7 days. I have one that did it for 84 days and one for 181 days. Any suggestions

Comment

vacation home

You treat it like a vacation home.

Comment

Average stay. Not total days rented. Sounds like Schedule C.

Comment

Pub 527

Just happened to have done a lot of research on this recently See Pub 527 page 17 under Part 5-Personal Use of Dwelling Unit (Including Vacation Home). There are several examples that may help you.

Comment

It is a Schedule C business if substantial services are provided to the renter, i.e, breakfast (which is implied in AirBNB), cleaning services, providing sundries, toiletries, wine and cheese, concierge services, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X