Deducting possible contributions to new 501(c)(3) entity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting possible contributions to new 501(c)(3) entity

Local small business (coffeehouse) was being operated on a not-for-profit basis. The bulk of the "employees" are either volunteers or slightly handicapped individuals.

Several individuals, one a client, donated funds specifically allocated to paying an attorney/CPA to apply for Section 501(c)(3) status.

The paperwork was duly processed, and the coffeehouse is now operating as a Section 501(c)(3) entity.

Here's the issue: My client donated approximately $1k to the "business" with the express purpose of those funds being used to hire professional(s) to complete the Section 501(c)(3) application. Client received a very nice acknowledgement letter, stating gratitude for receipt of funds specifically to help them procure their tax-exempt status. The original letter received does NOT include any of the usual IRS verbiage required for a contribution receipt.

Are the (essentially "start up") expenses a valid deductible contribution for the client? Would a second acknowledgement letter, from the now existent Section 501(c)(3) concern, improve or change anything for those same "contributions"?

I've never run into a scenario such as this, and the potential deduction is fairly large. Any advice or "I've had to deal with that before!" comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FE

Not sure if this would be acceptable, but just off the top of my head:
    What if the original $1,000 was a loan offered for the purpose of exploring non-profit status?
    Then he makes a contribution of $1,000 (or more) after the paperwork is completed, and the original loan is repaid at that time.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
    X