NY S Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY S Corp

I have a client who registered his S Corp through NY State but he is based out of NJ. I filed a NY state and NYC corp return for him last year. He had just started and made no money so it was only a minimum tax of $25 for each one. Do I need to file a NY and NYC return for him going forward? He has clients in NYC but he works out of NJ. He is not registered with NJ. He started paying himself a salary but it is applying to NJ income taxes since he is based in NJ. Please advise. Thanks.

NY S Corp

If the taxpayer transacts business in NYC-and there is nexus - then the corporation is obligated to
    file NYS/NYC corporation returns - so it shouldn't dissolve even if it wants to.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

New York Corporation

From the facts given, this is a domestic New York Corporation, and a FOREIGN New Jersey Corporation.

A New York return will be filed so long as the corporation is registered in New York. It will also have to file in New Jersey as a foreign corporation, with allocated factors determining the liability - allocated factors such as payroll, investment, and sales.

This is very much similar to thousands of corporations registered in Delaware - a favorite incorporation state for legal purposes. A Delaware return is always needed, even though no one in the corporation ever sets foot in Delaware.

Comment

My client is not currently registered in NJ. My program will not allow me to file the NJ return since he does not have a NJ corporation ID. This client did not make a lot of money. I would have to wait til next year to file the NJ return then, right?

Comment

Your client should register with NJ as a foreign corporation NOW to be ready to
          file 2016 return.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
          X