8962 below poverty line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8962 below poverty line?

Ok, this healthcare junk really makes no sense to me, even the instructions seem vague. If a client falls slightly below the poverty level, there are tests to meet to be considered 100%-400% of poverty level and can significantly increase refund. This T/P meets all the tests except for one I have a question about, the instructions are no help. It says if Marketplace estimated that your income would be 100%-400%-----how do I know? I'm thinking that would always be yes if they have Marketplace coverage since that is a requirement but then the TP estimates income, meaning the answer to that question would always be no. ??????? HELP!!!!!!

and really I'm guessing about the "applicable taxpayer" too--I see no reason why this taxpayer wouldn't be applicable. Isn't this junk explained better somewhere???

Comment

aha! I found the law (thanks Cornell) about what is an applicable taxpayer and he does meet that test. Now to find the other!

Comment

Ok, I'm really thinking he meets the marketplace estimate test??? How could he have coverage if he didn't???? He's at 98%FPL and would be over if you took out the SE deduction making MAGI just a little below. Anyone?

Comment

I'm still debating what to do with this one, any opinions?

Comment

Tm health care book

You may want to "invest" in the TTB Health Care and Retirement book.
            See particularly Pp. 3-20 thru 3-22.
            There are many posts on this forum for which the HCAR book provides guidance.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Tax Materials, Inc.

Further disclaimer: I really hate the way they are "Quickfinderizing" their publications. One would think a "deluxe edition plus" would have coverage on both social security aspects and at least a decent overview of "health care reform." We seem doomed, in the not too far distant future, to have to buy a book on W-2 wages, a book on children dependents, a book on other dependents, a book on schedule C income, a book on mortgage interest, and on and on.

Maybe that is their way of pushing us to their web service.

Still, for all my whining, TTB is the best of the available fast reference materials. I don't need a 3 ring binder for their publications; i need a salesman's brief case (like trial lawyers use).
            Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Was there any advance premium tax credit paid? There wouldn't be any advance payment of the premium tax credit unless the estimated income at the time of enrollment was 100-400%.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                Was there any advance premium tax credit paid? There wouldn't be any advance payment of the premium tax credit unless the estimated income at the time of enrollment was 100-400%.
                Yes, there was Advance payment made, that was one of the tests, so why even ask that Question of 'if Marketplace estimated at 100%-400%'---SO stupid!!

Comment

Originally posted by mastertaxguy View Post

Further disclaimer: I really hate the way they are "Quickfinderizing" their publications. One would think a "deluxe edition plus" would have coverage on both social security aspects and at least a decent overview of "health care reform." We seem doomed, in the not too far distant future, to have to buy a book on W-2 wages, a book on children dependents, a book on other dependents, a book on schedule C income, a book on mortgage interest, and on and on.

Still, for all my whining, TTB is the best of the available fast reference materials. I don't need a 3 ring binder for their publications; i need a salesman's brief case (like trial lawyers use).
                  I have the CD version of all of the taxbook series. I have read those pages, but still very vague and makes no sense to me.

Comment

The bottom line is that if they received the Advance credit, having income below 100% of the FPL will NOT disqualify them from the Premium Tax Credit. In most cases, they would receive additional credit on their tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by mastertaxguy View Post

It appears the "HealthCare Reform" is not available as part of the online subscription - I do not need more "books" I would be happy to pay slightly more to have the various references available as an online tool or part of the online edition.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                        It appears the "HealthCare Reform" is not available as part of the online subscription - I do not need more "books" I would be happy to pay slightly more to have the various references available as an online tool or part of the online edition.

Sandy
                        I've got the Healthcare and Retirement book on mine, is the taxbook web library

Comment

Working...
                        X