Dependent claimed himself and Dad/TP return was rejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent claimed himself and Dad/TP return was rejected

Another one of those situations where they should have called but its a new client. Son lives with Dad and filed his own tax return to get a refund on all the W/H the Son had and son claimed himself. Obvious not much communication between the son and dad. I e-filed dads return and it was rejected due son claiming himself on his return and dad claiming son on his tax return. Explain to dad his 2 options and son went ahead and amended his return for which he did not claim himself. Dad said that son is to receive a refund check and asked me if should write void on check and mail to the IRS along with a copy of his sons amended return. I am thinking that would mess the IRS up and delay the processing of the sons amended return. I suggested to the dad to file an ext on his personal return until his sons amended return is processed. Your suggestions please.

Son claiming himself

I would cash the check the refund probably did not change. I would paper file farther's return with a copy of sons amended.

Comment

One more good reason that I tell all my clients that I will file the 1040EZ for their kids free.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        Another one of those situations where they should have called but its a new client. Son lives with Dad and filed his own tax return to get a refund on all the W/H the Son had and son claimed himself. Obvious not much communication between the son and dad. I e-filed dads return and it was rejected due son claiming himself on his return and dad claiming son on his tax return. Explain to dad his 2 options and son went ahead and amended his return for which he did not claim himself. Dad said that son is to receive a refund check and asked me if should write void on check and mail to the IRS along with a copy of his sons amended return. I am thinking that would mess the IRS up and delay the processing of the sons amended return. I suggested to the dad to file an ext on his personal return until his sons amended return is processed. Your suggestions please.
        A relative of my wife had the same situation. They do their own tax returns. When I was consulted I looked at the returns and it made more sense to claim the dependent son on the parents return, get the full AOC and then give the child the refund that he would have received had he claimed his own exemption. Everyone was happy!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          How old is the son? Are you sure the son amended the return correctly? Yes, if the son receives a check for a refund of the originally filed return it should be sent back. Do not void it but include an explanation statement and a copy of the son's amended return and a copy of the dad's return that has been paper filed.

One thing I have found the IRS to be good at, usually, is keeping the accounting straight.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Vote NOT to return check

If you choose to go this route, how do you deal with line 18 of Form 1040X ??

Did he, or did he not, "receive" a previous refund?

If you cash the check, and put that amount on line 18, the Form 1040X pretty well straightens things out. Likely generating an (amended) balance due as a result of the loss of the personal exemption.

If you don't cash the check, and put ZERO on line 18? while returning the check, perhaps the Form 1040X will work things out but IRS processing confusion might ensue.

The "KISS principle" is often the best with the IRS. Take the wrong refund, cash the check, amend, and repay the difference via a factual Form 1040X

Just my 2ยข worth.

FE

Comment

Thats what I always do. Cash check.. Amend and payback any moneys... never had any problems. Sending the check back sounds like to much confusion would happen.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                Thats what I always do. Cash check.. Amend and payback any moneys... never had any problems. Sending the check back sounds like to much confusion would happen.

Chris
                Agree. Sending back an un cashed check is asking for problems later in my opinion!
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Another one last night!

23 yr old man, lives in an apartment with GF files his return with me and I get a e-file reject that dependency exemption was claimed! What??

Looks like his father (divorced parents) had a balance due and by claiming him and his younger sister made a balance due return into a refund return!

So now unless the father amends his return my client can't claim Ed credits, student loan deduction! I think it is going to be a difficult discussion between father and son.

Comment

Paper file and move on

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                    Another one last night!

23 yr old man, lives in an apartment with GF files his return with me and I get a e-file reject that dependency exemption was claimed! What??

Looks like his father (divorced parents) had a balance due and by claiming him and his younger sister made a balance due return into a refund return!

So now unless the father amends his return my client can't claim Ed credits, student loan deduction! I think it is going to be a difficult discussion between father and son.
                    Assuming the student meets the requirements (no one else CAN claim him and college expenses are legit), why not just go ahead and paper file a correct return for him showing the correct facts?

There's no need to get father involved, unless perhaps he is also a client and/or unless he is willing to amend.

FWIW: Even if father does amend, your student client is still NOT going to be able to efile 2015 anyway. . . . Same destination, different route.

FE

Comment

okay-works for me
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                      X