Dog park volunteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog park volunteer

Tractor lover paid 40K for a tractor but has no farm. He uses it to mow grass at a county dog park and wants to deduct fair rental value as a charitable contribution. He says fair rental is $175 an hour and that got him over $5000. He was not happy with 14 cents per mile.
    Any thoughts?

No Standard Mileage Rate

Taxpayer is correct about 14 cents/mile. You don't measure tractor usage by mileage, but by hours of operation.

$175 per hour is ridiculous. A bulldozer and operator can be rented for that, easily. He needs to be aware of Form 8283 and special appraisal which attaches to deductions that large.

I would say his deduction is:
    1) Noncash. Meaning Form 8283 has to be observed.
    2) Limited to what he can show is his own cost of operations.

Comment

And his cost of operations would be his out-of-pocket cash cost of operations, right? Fuel, primarily. For his charitable percentage of use. Probably mows his own lawn, too.

Comment

People Forget That It is Charitable!

This situation reminds me of a rather benevolent taxpayer who wanted to deduct most of his lease payments on a brand new car because he was delivering meals on wheels to shut in in my town. According to him 90% of the mileage was for that and the rest going to the grocery store! I realize there is a severe shortage of volunteers to deliver meals. When I told him we can only do mileage using the charity rate if he kept a log he completely flipped out! Became irrational so my suggestion was stop delivering meals if you don't feel charitable!

This guy was also a greeter for returning soldiers at two airports and wanted some deduction for that!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by dhawkcpa View Post
          Tractor lover paid 40K for a tractor but has no farm. He uses it to mow grass at a county dog park and wants to deduct fair rental value as a charitable contribution. He says fair rental is $175 an hour and that got him over $5000. He was not happy with 14 cents per mile.
          Any thoughts?
          Are you sure the country dog park is even a qualified charity?

Comment

his contribution is limited to gas for the mower, allocated maintance if used other than at the dog park and mileage if he tows it on a trailer to the dog park. He cannot take depreciation as he has no income from his service and he cannot deduct labor.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
              Are you sure the country dog park is even a qualified charity?
              It is a county dog park, which would mean a government entity.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                It is a county dog park, which would mean a government entity.
                That 1 letter makes a difference! I would just deduct the pro rated fuel. Why wouldn't a county owned facility not reimburse/pay him?

Chris

Comment

Hound dog man

This guy is creative! (A bit too early for the nuts to come out of the tax closet??)

A "tractor lover" with no farm pays $40k for a tractor? ? ?

On a day that I felt generous, and he felt like paying the tax prep fees, I would probably give him mileage for the truck (assuming he does not drive the tractor cross-county) to haul the tractor around, and the cost of the gasoline he specifically used to cut the doggy grass. I might add to that the Form 4136 credit for his tractor. . .assuming he does not already have a big ole tank of (untaxed) gasoline back at the farm. . .or was that the house?

Oh yes, I probably would make it a point to inquire strongly whether he was getting paid anything. AFTER I explained to him his "time" cannot be a factor of any contribution.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                    A "tractor lover" with no farm pays $40k for a tractor? ? ? FE
                    I have a neighbor who did just that, and built a shed to keep it in (that matched his $1M house décor, BTW). He doesn't even cut grass. He hires people to do that with their own equipment. It even has a blade to push snow, which he also does not do.

Comment

But he does a sch C right? Are the people he hires employees?
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                      X