HOH now and in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOH now and in the future?

TP divorced years ago, has for years signed over dependency for son in alternating years. Lived in apartment with her son using HOH with her son as a qualifying child. No problem.

At the end of July she moves into a house with single father who has his own qualifying child. She does not marry, but hypenates her last name with his. (Checking if she filed with SSA for that problem.)

So for 2015, dependent claimed by the ex, but I'm thinking that seven months in her own apartment would be adequate to qualify as HOH without running the numbers for the mixed household she moved in to.

Planning ahead, thinking 2016 could cause her to lose HOH status. He owns the house, I think he pays those related costs, while she buys household items and supplies for the child. If all the numbers are tracked, I suspect only the person she moved in with could have HOH status with his qualifying child.

Here's a question. If somehow the costs of the household were split 50-50, and she provides the extras for her child and he for his, could they both claim HOH? I'm thinking only one of them could be HOH and the other would file single. She would still get her son as a dependent every other year.

Any validation or correction of my thoughts is appreciated.

See

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post
    TP divorced years ago, has for years signed over dependency for son in alternating years. Lived in apartment with her son using HOH with her son as a qualifying child. No problem.

At the end of July she moves into a house with single father who has his own qualifying child. She does not marry, but hypenates her last name with his. (Checking if she filed with SSA for that problem.)

So for 2015, dependent claimed by the ex, but I'm thinking that seven months in her own apartment would be adequate to qualify as HOH without running the numbers for the mixed household she moved in to.

Planning ahead, thinking 2016 could cause her to lose HOH status. He owns the house, I think he pays those related costs, while she buys household items and supplies for the child. If all the numbers are tracked, I suspect only the person she moved in with could have HOH status with his qualifying child.

Here's a question. If somehow the costs of the household were split 50-50, and she provides the extras for her child and he for his, could they both claim HOH? I'm thinking only one of them could be HOH and the other would file single. She would still get her son as a dependent every other year.

See page 3-11 lower rIght "Unmarried Individuals" in TTB should help your thoughts.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post

I would be very Leary that they are NOT married. How can you hyphenate you last name with your boyfriend?!?

Chris

Comment

Easy

Originally posted by spanel View Post
        I would be very Leary that they are NOT married. How can you hyphenate you last name with your boyfriend?!?

Chris
        Go to court and get your name changed.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

No. Only one HOH for sharing adults. Depending on income and other issues her dad may qualify to take both kids.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X