Lifetime Learning Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifetime Learning Credit

Taxpayer has 25 year old son who is a graduate student. Son's only income is a W2 with 1578 of wages. Since son's income under 4000 the father can still claim him as a dependent, even though son is over 24. Is this correct. Son has 1098-T with over 20,000 of payments received for tuition.
    According to what I've read the father can claim a Lifetime Learning credit for the dependent son. The only requirement I can find is that must be a dependent for whom the taxpayer claims an exemption. Just doesn't seem right so wanted to run this by others. Thanks

Review

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    Taxpayer has 25 year old son who is a graduate student. Son's only income is a W2 with 1578 of wages. Since son's income under 4000 the father can still claim him as a dependent, even though son is over 24. Is this correct. Son has 1098-T with over 20,000 of payments received for tuition.
    According to what I've read the father can claim a Lifetime Learning credit for the dependent son. The only requirement I can find is that must be a dependent for whom the taxpayer claims an exemption. Just doesn't seem right so wanted to run this by others. Thanks
    See if Reference below helps inquiry:

Do you pay higher education expenses? Find out if you are eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit or other tax benefits for education.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-26-2016, 08:08 AM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Thanks , yes I had read all that. In my mind I was just questioning the son being 25 and still a dependent and the dad being able to claim the credit. Everything I read says he can. My mind questions it because of the fact you can claim a child til they are 24 and in college. So the age is what I'm hung up on. But yes what I read says he can

Comment

Working...
      X