phishing? ransomware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phishing? ransomware?

I got the email below (unsolicited) this week: BEWARE!

"Attachment: Transcript.html

Thanks so much for your reply, i would be glad if you can help me out to file my 2015 Tax refund, i am disabled ( Deaf & dumb ) i have attached my 2014 tax transcript for your reference, kindly get back to me with the total fees, the PDF file is secured due to my vital informations in it, it has been securely uploaded to your receiving email only, you need to enter your receving email password to view my 2014 Transcript it is Password protected.

wating for your kind reply

Regards
    Mike"

So anyway - I did NOT use my email address/password to attempt to open the attachment!!
    1. "transcript" is obviously NOT a PDF file it is HTML
    2. A disabled person would not refer to themselves as "deaf & dumb"
    3. Why would they send a "transcript" when I specifically asked for a Copy of 2014 return..
    4. spelling/grammar problems with email (those could be overlooked but not in this case?)

Spam email of the common type

Originally posted by EA92 View Post

Thanks so much for your reply, i would be glad if you can help me out to file my 2015 Tax refund, i am disabled ( Deaf & dumb ) i have attached my 2014 tax transcript for your reference, kindly get back to me with the total fees, the PDF file is secured due to my vital informations in it, it has been securely uploaded to your receiving email only, you need to enter your receving email password to view my 2014 Transcript it is Password protected.

Regards
    Mike"

So anyway - I did NOT use my email address/password to attempt to open the attachment!!
    3. Why would they send a "transcript" when I specifically asked for a Copy of 2014 return..
    4. spelling/grammar problems with email (those could be overlooked but not in this case?)
    This is normal phishing spam email. Once they get your log-in information, they can wreak havoc on whatever accounts you have, especially if you use a "common" password on several accounts. Worse yet, you will get a virus/malware on your computer.

You can put your cursor over the "link" to see where things are going, but don't DARE click on the link. And (double) never open an attachment you know nothing about.

These types of messages are quite common, and rest assured there are plenty of people who fall for the scam!

Ignore, erase immediately, and move on.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by EA92 View Post

Regards
      Mike"

absolutely phishing...report it to IRS and to FTC
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
      X