Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trust K1, unallowed depr for bene

A little issue but it gets real complicated:

Trust owned Land A (no active participation) and Land B (active participation). 2014: Land A Income - $1,000, Land B Income: $1,500 and depreciation passed on to bene of $3,000. My software used the income from A and generated an unallowed loss of $2,000. Was this the correct way to do this? Had this been on a 1040 full depreciation would have been allowed since this TP qualifies for the special $25,000 allowance.

In 2015 Trust was dissolved, no more income and assets transferred to bene for no consideration. There is no plan to file a 2015 trust tax return, other than with zero income and marked as final.

1. Does the transfer from the trust to the bene qualify as disposition and passive loss of $2,000 is allowed?
    2. If not, it seems $2,000 is lost forever since this is land, which does not allow prior year losses.

Any ideas are appreciated, I am rather unfamiliar with these issues on a trust level.

Partial

...I found my answer to no. 1 - since this is not a sale it does not free any losses...

It would be easier to find an answer if this loss was a trust loss but since this was deprecation apportioned directly to bene I am going in circles on what to do with the loss.

Comment

Why are they depreciating land?
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Good question, however they are not depreciating land but land improvements=fences.

Comment

Just in case

...someone is interested in the solution to this riddle: Land A was a farm rental and the way this was reported on the trust I missed that important part. When I changed the reporting on the 1040 to form 4835 instead of using Schedule E, it uses the carry-over passive loss. This all makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
          X