Coast Guard W2 and EIN issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coast Guard W2 and EIN issues

Anyone do a return for someone in Coast Guard? Trying to E-file the return and I get reject because name and EIN number do not match. I have the number correct. Have checked it over dozen times. Box for Employer's name reads

Commanding Officer (SEP)
    USCG Pay and Personnel Center
    444 SE Quincy ST
    Topeka KS 66683-3591

First try to E-file I used Commanding Officer because that is first line ---it rejected
    Second try I used USCG Pay and Personnel Center--it rejected
    Third try I used United States Coast Guard--it rejected

No idea where to go from here. If anyone files a return for someone in Coast Guard can you please tell me what you use for Employer's name
    Last edited by Bonnie; 02-24-2016, 09:24 PM.

Search online re the EIN and see what name gets returned with it. Contact your client to ask HR. Look at his prior year's return.

Comment

Other options

You pretty much used all of the combinations I would have tried.

My "best" guess would have been three lines, deleting the CO line entirely, and moving everything "up." Don't leave a blank line at top of address, or put address as part of (two-line?) name. (Did you carefully check the ZIP code you entered?)

I've run into problems like these before. Suggest you find "someone" at that address and ask about problem. If EIN has been changed, and does not match what is in current IRS/SS data base, you likely are up the creek and may have to resort to paper filing. (There's always the outside possibility of getting a corrected W2 if such would help.)

Some people on these boards have previously suggested "changing" the W2 information (EIN, payer, address) so you can efile, but I personally do not feel that is a professionally wise decision.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
        Anyone do a return for someone in Coast Guard? Trying to E-file the return and I get reject because name and EIN number do not match. I have the number correct. Have checked it over dozen times. Box for Employer's name reads

Commanding Officer (SEP)
        444 SE Quincy ST
        Topeka KS 66683-3591

First try to E-file I used Commanding Officer because that is first line ---it rejected

No idea where to go from here. If anyone files a return for someone in Coast Guard can you please tell me what you use for Employer's name
        The last time I e-file a Coast Guard W-2 was 2013---E-file was accepted
        I use
        Commanding Officer SES
        EIN: 52-9980000

Comment

I filed one this year with no problem.
          52-9980000
          USCG PERSONNEL CENTER
          Last edited by BOB W; 02-25-2016, 03:37 PM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thank you managed to get it through

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

Commanding Officer (SEP)
              444 SE Quincy ST
              Topeka KS 66683-3591

call them and ask them for their EIN, or have TP contact his payroll department and ask for it.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

If EIN differs. . .

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                call them and ask them for their EIN, or have TP contact his payroll department and ask for it.
                OK, I'm game: What do you do if the EIN on the actual W2 does not match what the payroll department tells you over the telephone?

Last time I checked, you cannot (for efiling) alter anything that appears on a reportable IRS document, such as a W2 or 1099-R .

FE

Comment

Working...
                X