Roth IRA Code T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth IRA Code T

Working on 1099R - Roth IRA Code T in Box 7. Owner died in 2015. Beneficiary took a distribution. Need help on how to process.

Roth IRA Code T

I have one of these myself. Picked up new client that had the same thing in 2014. I just followed the 2014 return. The
    amount should show up on form 8606 Part III line 19. The person that did the 2014 return put the same number on line 22. That is what I am going to do for 2015.

Comment

code T is a Roth , exception applies. isn't Roth a nontaxable distribution? maybe the exception would be death?

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
        code T is a Roth , exception applies. isn't Roth a nontaxable distribution? maybe the exception would be death?
        A code T 1099-R is reporting a distribution from a Roth IRA that is not subject to early withdrawal penalty but the financial institution issuing the 1099-R does not know if the 5-year holding period to make the distribution a qualified (and therefore entirely tax free) distribution has been met. If the 5-year holding period has not been met, any portion of the distribution that represents earnings will be taxable.

Comment

Roth IRA Code T Problem resolved.

Originally posted by arlo View Post
          I have one of these myself. Picked up new client that had the same thing in 2014. I just followed the 2014 return. The
          amount should show up on form 8606 Part III line 19. The person that did the 2014 return put the same number on line 22. That is what I am going to do for 2015.
          Problem solved! The Roth IRA payer just admitted to sending the wrong code. Corrected 1099R with Code Q being sent. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Roth IRA Code T Problem resolved.

Originally posted by mactoolsix View Post
            A code T 1099-R is reporting a distribution from a Roth IRA that is not subject to early withdrawal penalty but the financial institution issuing the 1099-R does not know if the 5-year holding period to make the distribution a qualified (and therefore entirely tax free) distribution has been met. If the 5-year holding period has not been met, any portion of the distribution that represents earnings will be taxable.
            Roth IRA payer made an error. Corrected Roth IRA with Code Q being sent to taxpayer. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

1st

Originally posted by arlo View Post
              Recommend 1st seeing Original Poster's latest response and see if your issue is the same
              Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
              X