Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help--NC---Client got audit form, thinking Scam!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help--NC---Client got audit form, thinking Scam!?!

I have a client that got an audit letter from NCDOR---the envelope is definitely one of there's but an address is stamped over the NC symbol for the return address with the "auditor's" name written in pen. This letter did not come certified mail. It says it is necessary for her to call the "auditor" directly and send in 2 weeks birth certificates, cancelled checks etc.... I will do more research, this just doesn't seem legit, just wondering if anyone here is aware of a NCDOR scam like this.

when I just tried to call the NCDOR the recording won't give me a person without a notice number, that's something else that's missing.

Comment

Ok, I got up with the NCDOR and they said this person is an auditor. She said there would not be a notice number because not a notice (REALLY??). She said the taxpayer needs to call them. I still don't feel right about this, anyone?

Comment

The revenue person at the NCDOR was just to quick to say this wasn't a scam. I called the number from the internet, not the letter. She did say that person was an auditor. Maybe I should just let it go, but I just don't feel right about calling this lady and telling her to call this person.

Comment

Different state, but when CT started their own EIC, they were writing to almost everyone who claimed CT EIC to ask for birth certificates, addresses, SS cards, etc., to prove the eligibility of applicants and the children they claimed. I told my clients to call the CT DRS (I gave them the # from the website, not the letter), not to use the number on the letter until verified, to ask why they received the letter, and to confirm what the DRS wanted and the address/fax/whatever to which they wanted it. CT did NOT issue refunds until they received what they asked for in the letters. So, it was important that I helped my clients respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            Different state, but when CT started their own EIC, they were writing to almost everyone who claimed CT EIC to ask for birth certificates, addresses, SS cards, etc., to prove the eligibility of applicants and the children they claimed. I told my clients to call the CT DRS (I gave them the # from the website, not the letter), not to use the number on the letter until verified, to ask why they received the letter, and to confirm what the DRS wanted and the address/fax/whatever to which they wanted it. CT did NOT issue refunds until they received what they asked for in the letters. So, it was important that I helped my clients respond.
            MA too demands taxpayer verification similar to CT when EITC is involved. The issue really is how can you tell which letter is fake?

A good rule of thumb is to call the state dept. of Revenue directly and talk to them first and ask if they indeed sent that notice. As Lion suggested not to use the phone number in the letter if it is different because it may be fake.

This problem will only grow as crooks become good at mimicking genuine documents/letters!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Did you call their main number or the number on the letter?
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                Did you call their main number or the number on the letter?
                The revenue person at the NCDOR was just to quick to say this wasn't a scam. I called the number from the internet, not the letter. She did say that person was an auditor. Maybe I should just let it go, but I just don't feel right about calling this lady and telling her to call this person.
                I believe in one of the prior thread posts it was stated that the call went to the NCDOR internet # - not the letter phone #

Maybe one of our NC posters can give some insight
                Last edited by S T; 02-18-2016, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X