Moving expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving expenses

Can a student who finished school in another state deduct moving expenses for moving back to his parents in another state. Student went to work full time within 30 days full time and is still there. The apartment complex where student was living made him pay 4 months rent to break his lease. Student finished earlier than expected by doubling up some classes. the miles and work time test is easily met. Does this qualify as a first job as defined in some of the regulations? If qualified can tp use the lease break amount as a moving expense? Any help or am I way off line on this?

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
    Can a student who finished school in another state deduct moving expenses for moving back to his parents in another state. Student went to work full time within 30 days full time and is still there. The apartment complex where student was living made him pay 4 months rent to break his lease. Student finished earlier than expected by doubling up some classes. the miles and work time test is easily met. Does this qualify as a first job as defined in some of the regulations? If qualified can tp use the lease break amount as a moving expense? Any help or am I way off line on this?
    You don't state where the son's principal residence was. Based on the fact that he was a college student I would presume that his principal residence was at his parent's home. If this is correct then he is back to his principal residence - there appears to be no move. Obviously, facts and circumstances control. Did he change his driver's license, where did he vote , etc.?

The regulations for §217 interpret the word residence as principal residence. You might want to read Reg. §1.217-1.

Comment

Moving expense is related to business/employment, not schooling. Wasn't this person a dependent of parents while in school? If so then his/her residence remained with parents while in school.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
        If qualified can tp use the lease break amount as a moving expense?
        Too lazy to look it up in the pub, but I'm pretty sure that would never be a deductible moving expense regardless of any other factors.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
          X